- Chapter 42 -

They were both silent. As Naruto entered the room, he didn't even look at Sasuke. His head was hung low as he shut the door slowly, the slight creak it produced and the beeping machinery around Sasuke being the only noises in the room.

Sasuke couldn't even bear to look at the blond as he stood before the sealed door. He knew exactly how Naruto would look – hurt, betrayed, lost, alone, heartbroken. And it was all his fault. Naruto hadn't deserved to be put through all of that. He was just another victim of Sasuke's selfishness. But the Uchiha realized this now. It was time to set things straight.

"Naruto, I..."

"YOU ASS!"

Before Sasuke could process this outburst, he was left stunned as Naruto's fist collided with his cheek, sending the raven-haired teen flying back into his pillow. Rubbing his cheek, Sasuke spit out a bit of blood before glancing up at Naruto in momentary indignation. His ire vanished, however, upon meeting the blond's eyes.

What he saw in those deep, blue pools was far worse than he'd ever imagined. Yes, the disappointment and hurt were there, but that wasn't what was shocking. Instead, it was the anger and, more importantly, the fear in Naruto's eyes that made Sasuke's blood run cold. The hot tears on Naruto's face made it perfectly clear just how tormented he'd been over the past day, and though the vulpine boy tried to remain strong, his shaking fist and slightly quivering lip betrayed his elevated emotions.

"I deserved that," Sasuke concluded, glancing awkwardly to the side.

"You're damn right, you did," Naruto replied with a barely noticeable hiccup in his voice.

"Would you like to sit down?" Sasuke asked, sliding over to one side of the bed while patting the newly available space.

Nodding, Naruto plopped down on the bed and stared out the window at the lights of nighttime Konoha. He hesitated a moment, then asked the question Sasuke had been anticipating ever since he entered the room.

"Why did you leave?"

That was the heart of the matter, wasn't it? All of Naruto's frustration, sorrow, and concern were wrapped up into those four words. Unfortunately, Sasuke didn't have such a concise answer.

"I... I don't know," Sasuke replied, watching as a pigeon flew off into the night from the window ledge. "I guess I was overwhelmed."

"Was it the sex?" Naruto asked with a slight blush.

"You were great, if that's what you're asking," Sasuke said before wincing at a sudden wave of pain from his posterior. "Though I wish I'd known it was going to hurt like hell."

Naruto forced a laugh, "Sorry about that."

There was a lengthy pause, which Sasuke struggled to fill. "It's my fault, you know. I knew it was too soon, but I wanted to go through with it anyway."

"And I should've realized you weren't ready yet."

"You're right – you should've," the Uchiha said, causing the blond to look up in surprise. "But only because I should've told you what I was thinking."

Naruto nodded, but it was clear his mind was elsewhere. For a few moments, he periodically opened his mouth as if to speak, only to quickly close it shortly afterwards, as if he was afraid to say what was on his mind. It was after nearly a minute of this that he spoke up, his voice somewhat choked.

"Do... do you hate me?"

The question cut through Sasuke like a knife. If he hadn't felt guilty before, he certainly did now. How long had that thought been stirring in the back of Naruto's head? How long had Sasuke allowed that thought to remain? To anyone else, Naruto would've seemed unusually calm in asking such a troubling question, but to Sasuke, the blond's inner fears and turmoil were written all over his face, visible even through his stolid mask.

How could I let him worry like this? Was I really that afraid of losing him that I'd let him suffer? He's right... I am an ass...

Sasuke could tell that his lengthy pause was only making Naruto worry all the more, so he decided to speak the truth. "No. I don't hate you. That would've made things easy," he said with a sigh, noticing the mixture of relief and confusion in Naruto's expression.

"Then why? Why did you run away?"

Sasuke suddenly found himself incredibly frustrated. Not with Naruto – it wasn't his fault Sasuke had surround himself with nearly impenetrable emotional walls – but rather with himself. With the Sasuke who did everything in his power to shut out the rest of the world. His fists clenched.

No more!

"Because I love you, dammit!"

Naruto looked like a deer caught in the headlights. His head jerked to the side, and all he could do was stare at the Uchiha unblinkingly. Just when Sasuke was beginning to grow uncomfortable under this stare, Naruto finally spoke up. "Wh-what did you say?"

Sasuke had to consider this for a moment. Had he just said what he thought he'd said? Had he voiced the feelings he'd been keeping deep inside, made known the degree to which he cared for Naruto? He swallowed hard.

"I said... I love you, Naruto."

It was a relief, finally being able to say those simple words. Before Sasuke had time to dwell on the matter, though, he was suddenly tackled back onto the bed as Naruto came in for an overly enthusiastic kiss. Astonished by this assault on his lips, Sasuke soon pushed the blond away, gasping for breath.

"What the hell?"

Naruto grinned. "Sorry, I couldn't help it. I've been waiting so long to hear you say that..."

Sasuke only stared at his boyfriend, as he had only just then realized that Naruto was crying. Along with his broad smile, tears of joy had begun to stain his cheeks. Again, the blond was unable to contain himself and wrapped his arms around Sasuke, pulling the Uchiha into a tight embrace. Sasuke hugged him back, running one hand through Naruto's golden locks.

"I didn't realize how much it meant to you..." he whispered, breathing in Naruto's distinct, comforting musk.

"It's silly, I know... but somehow hearing you actually say it," Naruto began, only to break down mid-sentence. There was nothing to say – his tears said it all.

"Well, I mean it. I love you, Naruto, and I never want to let you go," Sasuke continued, his own tears joining his boyfriends. Tears of relief, now that he had finally gotten this off his chest. Tears of joy, now that he was back in his lover's arms. And tears of sadness, that he had spent the past month worrying, when he could've been enjoying life with his true love.

Naruto rubbed his face up and down against Sasuke's gown. "Just promise you'll never leave me again."

"Only if you never leave me."

They waited in silence for a time, each enjoying the feel of the other in his arms. After a moment, they shared a short, sweet kiss, while Naruto's hand moved playfully down Sasuke's bare back through the opening in his gown. When his hand met fabric around the Uchiha's butt, however, Naruto pulled out of the kiss with a smirk.

"I want my underwear back, by the way."

Sasuke's lips curled into a devilish smile. "You'll have to take them off, first."

"With pleasure," Naruto whispered, leaning in to nibble gently on the raven-haired teen's ear while sliding his hand inside the boxerbriefs.

"I see the two of you have made up."

Looking up in horror, Naruto and Sasuke found Shikamaru standing in the doorway, his head turned awkwardly to the side. Sasuke fumed. "Do you mind?"

"Not at all – I was just going to tell you that the nurse needs to come and check on your wound, Sasuke. I guess you guys could continue, but she might get in the way..."

The couple's eyes met. "Let's finish this later," they said in unison.

With that, a furiously blushing Naruto climbed off of Sasuke and started for the door. Meanwhile, an equally red Sasuke lay down on the bed and sighed.

Interrupted again... some things never change, I guess.