- Chapter 37 -

I did it.

These were the words repeating over and over in Sasuke's head as he lay in bed, Naruto's arm draped across his chest. Indeed, he had done it. He'd told himself he was going to do it, and he'd done it. He'd had sex with Naruto. It was weird, painful, and wonderful, but more than anything else, it was frightening.

Of course, that fear wasn't there right away. After they'd finished, he and Naruto had simply lain in bed, feeling relaxed in content. Then, a few minutes later, Naruto had suggested they wash up, which they did, showering together while firmly embracing each other.

Once they returned to bed, however, Sasuke's mind began to wander. Naruto was apparently oblivious, as he fell asleep soon after, leaving Sasuke to his thoughts. He wasn't even sure how long he had been lying awake, staring up at the ceiling. When he tried to catch a glimpse of the clock, he found a pair of Naruto's boxers draped over it, obscuring the numbers. All he knew was that, at some point, he heard Kiba return, with Akamaru's yips accompanying the sound of the door clamping shut. For all Sasuke knew, though, that had been an hour ago.

I... I love him. How could I let myself fall for him like this? I've grown attached to him... I can't even imagine life without him. I knew this would happen... why didn't I just leave him when I had the chance?

Just the thought made Sasuke's heart race and caused cold sweat to run down his face. This was real. He couldn't just ignore these feelings, and he couldn't delay acting on them any longer. Something had to be done. But what?

As far as he could tell, there was nothing he could do. He was too close to Naruto now – he couldn't just call the whole thing off. At the same time, though, the fear of what could happen was overwhelming. Visions of his parents lying dead on the floor kept popping back up in his head. He felt like he was going to pass out as his heart beat faster and his palms grew sweaty.

I need to get away... just for a while. I need to think this over...

Slowly and carefully, Sasuke moved Naruto's hand off of his chest and slid out from under the covers. It was only after his feet touched the ground that he noticed the pain in his backside – apparently losing your virginity hurt like hell. Though it was relatively dull right then, Sasuke knew perfectly well that he'd barely be able to walk by morning. After stumbling around briefly in the dark, he found his clothes and got dressed as quietly as possible before slipping out of Naruto's room, gently sealing the door shut behind him.

Tiptoeing down the hall, Sasuke cringed as the floorboards creaked, pausing at the slightest sound lest he wake either Naruto or Kiba. It was only when the Uchiha reached the front door, however, that he realized that he'd overlooked something, for curled up in a ball on the floor was Akamaru. Though Sasuke tried to get by the puppy without waking it, he knew it was useless. No sooner had he placed a hand on the door than he heard Akamaru whimper, at which point Sasuke sighed and knelt down.

"It's okay, little guy – I'm just heading out for a bit. Need some fresh air," Sasuke said, patting the dog on the head and scratching it just below the chin. "I'll be back, okay?"

Seeming to understand, Akamaru bobbed its head and curled back up into a ball, allowing Sasuke to step outside silently. It was only then that Sasuke realized what, by all means, he should have before – it was pouring. Deciding it was too late to turn back now, the Uchiha took off running, the rain matting down his raven hair as he darted down the stairs and into the apartment complex's parking lot.

Good thing Akamaru kept quiet... I don't want to have to explain to Naruto why I'm leaving in the middle of the night like this.

Waiting at an intersection, Sasuke smiled to himself. He could remember the first time he'd met Akamaru – he still had the faint scar on his hand where he'd been bitten. Apparently the dog had grown used to Sasuke, though – like he was part of the family. It wrenched his heart, in a way, knowing that it was just that kind of connection that made Sasuke worried the most. Family. Friendship. Love. They were all great while they lasted, but they were so fragile. Anything could come along and split it apart – an accident, a change of heart. And that was the worst part of it: the knowledge that those wonderful feelings could be lost forever. That Sasuke might wake up tomorrow to find Naruto gone – never to feel his embrace again, to see his smile, to run his hands through his sunshine hair.