- Chapter 34 -

Shikamaru Nara stood in the pouring rain at Konoha Cemetery Monday morning, clad entirely in black. It had taken him a while to find the right suit for the occasion – usually he would've dismissed the entire issue as being too troublesome – but this was different. He was positioned beside Temari, who was also dressed in black, with Kankuro standing on the opposite side of his sister. And, of course, lying in front of them was Mr. Subakuno, waiting to be lowered to his eternal rest. Gaara was conspicuously absent, though Shikamaru hadn't expected the redhead to show up. It was far too soon.

It was a very uncomfortable occasion for all involved. Everyone, it seemed, had mixed feelings about the man. He was cold and gruff, yet he clearly cared for his family in some respects. It was as if he had resigned himself to being a providing father, even though it had cost him the woman he loved, and his happiness as a result.

What weighed on their minds even more, though, were the circumstances behind Mr. Subakuno's death. No one was sure what had driven him to do what he did. There were theories, of course – they had learned that he had lost his job before attacking Gaara, and some suggested that he was already unstable from that blow. Still, it was hard to defend a man who had tried to kill his own son. That last act had revealed a dark side to Mr. Subakuno that even those closest to him hadn't fully known.

Shikamaru could only imagine the combination of emotions running through Temari's mind at that moment, as the rain beat down on her father's casket. Sorrow, certainly – it was hard for anyone to lose a parent, even late in life. To go through that as a teen only made it harder. Pity? Perhaps – his last actions were motivated by his bitterness towards his own son stemming from the loss of his beloved wife. Truly, it was pathetic that he couldn't move on, even after sixteen years. Regret, since she wasn't there to stop him. More than anything else, though, Shikamaru was sure Temari felt a sense of shame. Shame that her father was such a shallow man. Shame that he couldn't grow to accept his son. Shame that he would want to kill Gaara for being gay, of all things.

Not that I'm much better... I didn't trust him. I thought Gaara was just a killer – a monster out for blood. Some friend I am...

As the rain ran down his wool suit in tiny little beads, Shikamaru finally glanced up at Temari, having avoided eye contact throughout the entire service. While the priest before them spoke of Mr. Subakuno's accomplishments, trying to portray the man in a positive light, Shikamaru found that Temari's eyes were completely stolid. They simply stared down at the casket, betraying no emotion whatsoever. It was almost as if she was determined not to cry – as if Mr. Subakuno wasn't worthy of her tears.

"Now, if anyone would like a moment to pay their last respects, please come forward and do so now," the priest said as he stepped to the side, clasping his hands in front of him.

A few older men stepped forward – apparently some of Mr. Subakuno's coworkers. They laid their hands on the casket and paused, giving the man a silent prayer before moving aside for the next in line. After a few minutes, Kankuro approached the casket as well and brushed his hand against the casket in turn.

"You never made it to one of my puppet shows... but that's okay. I'm sure you would've made it eventually. I'll just have to give you a private show sometime, that's all..."

With that, the teen bit his lip and stepped away from the casket, his fresh tears blending in with the rain as he returned to his spot. Shikamaru gazed up at Temari, expecting her to follow her brother's lead. She didn't budge, though, but simply stared at the casket with an almost hawk-like vigilance.

"Anyone else?" the priest asked after a moment. When no one responded, he coughed and approached the casket once more. "Then, Kaze Subakuno, may you find solace in your present rest, and find eternal bliss in the life of the world to come. Amen."