- Chapter 35 -

Sasuke Uchiha walked down the path in the park that Thursday, his mind racing. He had decided to head there immediately after school, so that he might sort out some of his problems. Again, this wasn't something he could talk to Shikamaru or Kakashi about – and certainly not Naruto. No, this was a job for O.

That day at school had been very unusual. Sasuke had gone in expecting the whole school to know about his relationship with Naruto. He had even talked it over with the blond beforehand – what they would do, what they would say, how they would act – but it was all unnecessary. Everyone treated them exactly the same. The closest anyone came to mentioning the subject was one guy who congratulated him for putting Sakura in her place. Apparently, everyone thought that Sakura's secret was irrelevant – all that mattered was her very public form of humiliation.

Still, Sasuke knew that Sakura's threat remained. Just because she hadn't told the whole world overnight didn't mean that she wouldn't the next day, or the next week, or even the next month. She had already proven herself to be crafty – she wouldn't want to lose her credibility by letting emotion get in her way.

Of course, what was more important was what the Uchiha had planned for the next day. October 10th, Naruto's birthday, the day they would take their relationship to the next level. The thought made Sasuke's hands tremble. Was it too soon? Was he overreacting? Was this how most people felt before they had sex for the first time? Did this mean that he really cared for Naruto? That this wasn't just some carnal pleasure, but something deeper?

Sasuke sighed.

Geez... I'm fucked up...

"Well, well... what have we here?"

Glancing up, Sasuke found he had arrived at Orochimaru's usual spot underneath the shady tree. The leaves had started to change color by now, and many were drifting down to the ground as the pale-skinned man strummed on his guitar. It was strangely peaceful for the Uchiha, seeing his old friend sitting right where he'd always been – like things hadn't completely changed since he met Naruto. There was still some stability in his life.

"Kabuto, can you go over and practice with Tayuya for a bit? I'd like a minute alone with Sasuke," O asked the spectacled man at his side as he set down his guitar.

"Of course, Orochimaru," Kabuto replied, adjusting his glasses as he rose from the ground. Once he was safely out of earshot, Orochimaru turned his attention back on the raven-haired teen with an enigmatic smile.

"Now, then... let me guess, Sasuke – trouble in paradise?"

Sasuke plopped down on the grass, the dead leaves crackling as he propped himself up against the tree. "You could say that, I suppose."

"Hmm... well, the last time I heard from you, it was when your precious little Naruto was befriending that Gaara character. I saw him on the news the other day, up on the Konoha Bridge. How did that all come about?"

"It wasn't his fault – his dad tried to kill him. Gaara ended up killing him in self-defense, and he was about to commit suicide out of grief. Naruto stopped him," Sasuke replied with a somewhat admiring smile. There was still a hint of the worry he felt that evening in his lips, however, and Orochimaru saw it instantly.

"That's not all that happened though, I take it? I couldn't help but see that Naruto was up on that bridge with Gaara – you didn't let him go alone, did you?"

"Not exactly. We all went to the bridge together – me, Shikamaru, Naruto, and his roommate – but Gaara was up on a tower. Shikamaru and I wanted to wait at the bottom and call the police, but Naruto insisted on going up."

"And you let him?" Orochimaru asked, tuning his guitar casually as he spoke.

"I couldn't stop him," Sasuke responded, shaking his head in self-disgust. "I tried to talk some sense into him – I told him that he could die up there. It was windy, rainy... and Gaara was clearly unstable. He wouldn't listen to reason, though – he had to do what he thought was right. Before he left, though, he promised me he'd come back okay... that he'd never leave me alone again."