Over The Edge

Will didn't protest, didn't cry, didn't scream. It hadn't sunk into him yet. Just a couple of minutes ago he had been face to face with his father for the first time in years. Now a thick rope was being knot around his waist, ready to take him down into the Pit.

Jake beside him was assuring him they couldn't actually let him down. It would be to unfair for words. But Will could hear in his voice how concerned he was, and had given up the hope that Jake was right.

'This can't be happening. I'll smash the major's fucking dickface in', Jake was groaning filled with anger.

Will just sighed, while the same officer who took him away from the edge, tied the rope just a little tighter around his middle. All the air got drawn from his lungs as he did.

'Oh buddy does that hurt?' The officer asked jokingly.

His voice clearly exposed he did not give a fuck. Only getting a laugh out of the new Pitter. And even though Will was still to confused to react, he knew how bad the situation was.

The officer with the big moustache walked up to the officer behind Will, tying the rope.

'Rob you can't do this, look at how young the kid is. And how thin. They'll end him straight when his feet touch the dirt ground.'

The officer pulled the ropes again, angry this time. And Will gasped for oxygen, his organs being pushed together in his stomach. Creating a pain all through his body.

'We follow the rules out here. If you don't feel like that, go back to that little desk of yours and eat pie until your pants can't hold it anymore', the rope holder, apparently called Rob, snapped back.

Will heard moustache sigh, not capable of turning around 'cause he was still behind hold. Faced toward the Pit, where gazing eyes were pointed at him. They almost looked hungry. No, not almost. They looked hungry. Will swallowed his stress away and bit his lower lip until blood streamed into his throat.

'Which orphanage do you live boy?' Moustache asked Will.

Will shook his head. It didn't matter is they believed his lie anymore.

'I'm not an orphan. I have a mother.'

'And a father?' Moustache asked.

Will shook his head, 'not anymore.'

'Jake', Will turned to his friend still biting his nails besides him. 'Bring him to my mom, and make sure she knows that I'll get out. Tell her I'll find a way. I'm not like my father, I'm not a monster. Tell her that I love her, and how grateful I am with her. And make sure she eats, she stops eating when she's stressed or sad. Push it through her nose Jake.'

Thick hot tears walked down Will's cheeks, finally realising what he had done by seeking for his father. He had left his mother alone. Snot filled his nostrils, and the breathing through his mouth went tough by all the slime stuck in his throat.

Jake wanted to cry, Will could see. But the boy was tough and he just nodded and promised Will to do everything he called out.

Rob started pushing Will toward the edge, and Will kept on talking, now in a faster speed to make sure Jake knew everything.

'When my father is out, don't pay any attention to him. He isn't worth shit, don't even think about giving him the feeling he is.'

The edge came closer, and Will started to rush and almost scream back to his friend.

'Don't come to Feeding Days, that is just monstrous.'

'Don't struggle back boy', Rob hissed, pushing Will closer and closer to the Pit. Until Will's toes were on the very edge. And he could see way down.

'Stay positive Jake. People love that about you. And tell that Sofia chick you love her okay.'

'WE BROKE UP'!' Jake screamed half laughing half crying. He was broken.

And right before Will got hoisted down he smiled, 'hadn't expected anything else. I love you brother.'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'I'm sorry miss, your husband swapped places with your son.'

'That can't be true. My husband. He's a good man'.

'I can't judge over that, but he made his choice. And now you need to. Your husband will be on the average level of ground with us, in some minutes. He will need a place to sleep. You may offer him that, if not, what I would completely understand, he'll be placed in a cell or end up on the streets.'

'....'

'Miss, is he allowed to sleep here?'

'All these years I waited for him. Just so he could take away my only son. My good boy. He's such a good boy officer.'

'Not everyone has to be pure evil to go down there.'

'I won't let him set even one foot in this house.'

'I fully understand your decision miss Carthy, we'll make sure he can't come near you.'

'He is a good boy.'

'I'm sorry miss.'