19. Fin del camino

R O S A

"I'll tell her about the offer." My lawyer spoke as he walked down the stairway of the courthouse.

I was nearly a week into my trail, and nothing seemed to be happening.

I've sat in that big courtroom for hours at a time, hearing testimony after testimony and getting glared at by jury members, but nothing seemed to be happening.

"Well?" I asked quietly as he walked over to me.

"Twelve years." He said and my lips parted, "Twelve? Even after all those testimonies from those cops, and Dr. Terry? After the tape from Michael?" I asked breathlessly, I was talking about the tape that Michael and Lincoln sent to the news awhile back, the one that had the code for me to meet him.

"They saw a convicted felon lie for a woman that he clearly cares for. He's got no credibility." "And Terry?" I asked quickly, "A former drug addict who's looking at some time himself for helping you guys."

"And the cops?" "They're all rookies, fresh out of the academy who happen to be your friends." He explained and I felt my hands become clammy.

"Rosa, we need to take a hard look at what they're offering." He said and I sighed, "Due respect, Marty, we aren't going to prison, I am." I spoke as I looked up at him.

"They've made it very clear that they want somebody to hang for this, Rosa, and unfortunately, you're the only one they've got in their grasp. There's no avoiding it." He said giving me a sympathetic look.

He gave a small nod to an attorney who stood near by, "This is the plea agreement. We can walk you through it if you'd like." He offered as he held a blue file.

"Twelve years?" I asked looking up at my lawyer as I breathed deeply.

--

I walked back into the courtroom after the long recess.

My hands cuffed in front of me with an officer following my every move, I sat down next to my lawyer after being uncuffed.

We sat down and he cleared his throat, "Okay, Rosa, here's how the plea is going to go down."

"The judge is gonna need you to allocate to the charges. He's going to ask you a few simple questions. You will answer him truthfully." He explained and I lightly nodded, "Right."

"Then he's gonna ask you, 'Did you give support and comfort to Michael Scofield and Lincoln Burrows since the escape?' You'll say yes." He said and I softly nodded, the air being sucked out of me.

I missed Michael, and I shouldn't.

"And then the sentence will be immediately handed down. The prosecution is asking that you do your time in a maximum security facility. I think the judge is going to agree to that." He said and I looked up at him.

"Okay," I breathed, "With good behavior, how many years of my sentence can I expect to serve?" I asked nervously.

"On a 12-year sentence? You'll do nine years." He spoke honestly, giving me the absolute best case scenario.

"I'll be out before I'm 40." I whispered, mostly to myself.

"I'm sorry, Rosa." He sighed and I shook my head gently, "You did all you could."