14. Family

Chapter 14: Family

Mika

Waking up was a slow process. I knew there was someone in my bed with me, and I couldn't figure out why they didn't feel normal. Allen was over last night. And he stayed, right? I wouldn't have anyone else over even if he didn't, so who was in my bed?

Opening my eyes, I couldn't believe I couldn't figure it out. I was holding onto little Sammy, who was fast asleep with his thumb in his mouth. We had taken him with us when we climbed into my shitty excuse for a bed last night, not wanting to risk him sleeping anywhere else by himself. He couldn't be trusted to not fall off the couch and the floor wasn't even an option. Maybe I should get a crib for these random times he was here. But then again, I didn't think he'd ever spend another night here for quite some time, if ever.

Moving my gaze from Sam, my eyes landed on Allen. He was still fast asleep, and I had to say I liked watching him as he slept. I wasn't trying to be creepy, I just happened to usually wake up before he did, whenever we spent the night together.

After a moment, he shifted slightly and then opened his eyes. "Hey," he mumbled, giving me a small smile. Then he closed his eyes again, moving his arm to lay it across my side.

I still found it weird that we were dating. This was the longest I ever stayed with someone, not counting Zak because that was strictly sex whenever we met up with each other for a year and a half, with other people in between. Allen's been the only guy I've even looked at like that in months. It was kind of weird, but I liked it. 

We stayed like that for another couple of minutes, until Sam woke up and started fussing. He was hungry and his diaper was definitely dirty, which meant it was time for us to get up.

Allen got up first, lifting Sam out of my arms once he was sitting up. He paused a moment before standing up to look at me. I recognized that look. It was the same one he would always give Sarah in all those pictures he used to have all over his house.

It reminded me of what he said last night. Do you even realize that I love you? He said it so bluntly, like I should have noticed. Maybe I had realized earlier, but I don't think I wanted to see it, didn't want to accept that he might actually be in love with me.

I looked away from him quickly, getting to my feet before pulling my sweatshirt over my head. It was freezing in here. I really hoped the heat wasn't broken again. It seemed fine last night when we went to bed. Walking over to the thermostat, I determined that something was definitely wrong. It said it was seventy-six in here. Too bad it felt like twenty.

I glanced out the window to see the street covered in a thick layer of snow. I don't know how Mrs. Nesbitt planned on getting here today. But I was sort of glad she was still coming, at least then I can try to get her to do something about the heat.

"Everything alright?" Allen asked me, making me turn my attention back to him. At some point, he had put on his own sweater, as well as dressed Sam in warmer clothes.

I shrugged. "Heat's busted again. Sorry."

"Bad day for it to stop working," he said, more to himself than me, then he raised his voice a bit. "But it's not your fault."

I got the feeling that he was thinking about how much he really didn't want me living here again, so I changed the topic. "What do you want for breakfast?" I started walking towards the kitchen area, but he stopped me, turning me around so that I was facing him again.

"I'd like a kiss from my boyfriend."

That's when I realized we haven't done that yet today. I wasn't sure if it was my fault or it was just something that slipped by us. But whatever the case, I stepped closer to him and gave him that good morning kiss before asking my question again. "Now what do you really want for breakfast?"