37. Surprises

Chapter 37: Surprises

Mika

Classes were exhausting. Not that I wasn't enjoying them, because I was, it's just that I haven't been in an actual school setting like this since I was fourteen. I wasn't used to it anymore.

Hefting my backpack - which seemed heavier with a few textbooks in it than it ever did when I was practically living out of it - over my shoulder, I left my final class of the day. It was only four in the afternoon, so I was planning on grabbing Sammy on my way home from the day care place and getting dinner ready for Allen by the time he got home from work. However, when I checked my phone, I read the text saying he already had Sam and was waiting for me at home.

For some reason, that got me worried.

Allen was never home this early. And getting home an hour ago, when he actually sent that text? Something was up. I knew it.

When I finally walked through the front door, nearly forty minutes later, I was cold and rather hungry. I was also seriously worried about whatever is going on with Allen. I had tried calling him on my walk back, but he didn't answer at all. This can't be good.

"Allen?" I called.

The only reply I got from the house was a soft sound of music playing somewhere further inside. I couldn't tell what song was playing, but it didn't surprise me that he'd be playing something, in which case, he was trying to go for some romantic bullshit. Whatever news he has must be bad in that case.

"Allen?" I called again, moving further into the house. "If this is some romantic bull-" I stopped talking when I heard a giggle. Normally I wouldn't have cared - Sammy laughs all the time. But this giggle I'd know anywhere.

I hurried up the stairs, the music getting louder and coming from the room Allen and I decided would become Amy's once we got her. There were voices: Allen's and Amy's. It was definitely her. But how?

Rushing into the room, I saw them both chatting away, paintbrushes in hand, repainting the walls a light purple color. Neither of them had noticed me standing in the doorway yet, and I just stayed there, not believing my eyes.

"Mika? You okay?"

My eyes snapped to Allen's. He was smiling, a streak of purple paint across his cheek. Then I looked back down at Amy. She was really here. Holy shit.

"Amy?" I almost whispered. "What? How? When? Allen?"

The paintbrush in her hand dropped to the floor and, before Allen could give me any kind of answer, she flung herself into my arms. I hugged her back, tightly, somehow ending up on the floor with her still in my arms. I breathed in the scent of her hair. God, I missed her.

After a minute or so, we separated from each other. Allen was still standing there, with an even bigger smile on his face, if that was possible.

"Are you happy?" he asked. "I went down this morning and officially got custody of her. Amy is now ours to care for."

I stood up. "How long did you know?" He had told me this morning he'd be working all day. "Or did it all just suddenly happen?"

He sighed. "Come with me real quick." I didn't move as he placed the brush on top of the open paint can and started walking towards me. I still didn't move when he tried to get me out the door and into the hallway, so he grabbed my wrist and practically dragged me to our bedroom.

"I wanted to surprise you," he said as soon as the door closed behind us. "I know you were upset about not getting her before we moved, and I didn't want to stress you out in case something fell through."

That didn't answer my question, so I repeated it. "So how long did you really know about this, Allen?"

"I've been in contact with Rachel since she talked to you two weeks ago."

I scoffed, rather mad. "Two weeks! You've kinda known this was happening for two weeks and yet you didn't say a word to me? You lied, actually. How could you have lied, when this means so much to me? I honestly thought there was no chance, that I ruined everything by talking to her, by telling her my entire life story, even the bad parts! Do you know how hard that was for me to do? And then to think it's the reason we hadn't heard anything? Now I find out she has been in contact, you just haven't told me any of it!"

Allen's face fell and I realized that maybe I was overreacting a little bit. I should be happy that he did this for me and for Amy. I knew that. But a small part of me was upset that he did all this work when it should have been me. She's my sister - my responsibility. I should have been the one to bring her home, not him.

Except, I knew I had no chance by myself. It's why we decided to have him get full custody, since he had a perfect record and I didn't. I only wish he had told me sooner.

"I'm sorry," Allen said softly. "I really am, Mika. This was supposed to be a great surprise for you to come home and find her a part of our family. I didn't realize you'd get upset."

I shook my head. "It's fine. I guess I'm not much for surprises."

He placed a hand on my cheek, making me lift my gaze to match his. "What's the matter, really? You've never had an issue with surprises before."

I let myself step closer to him, resting my head against his shoulder. His arms wrapped around me, one of his hands rubbing small circles on my back. This felt right, and I didn't want to ever move from his hold.

"I was supposed to be the one to take care of her," I whispered. "She's my responsibility, Allen. I never meant for you to get involved like this. I know you have your reasons but god-" I stepped out of the hug. "I should be able to do it myself. I needed to be the one who finally brought her home, but that couldn't have happened. I know that, and it sucks. And now you're going to be responsible for her too. Actually, legally more than me. Than I ever will be. That's not fair to you."

At some point during my little rant, I had started pacing back and forth across the room. Allen eventually stopped me, making me look at him again.

"Mika, I love you. I love you with all my heart." He stepped closer to me, so close that I could feel the light puffs of his breath against my face. "Yes, I did this for you, but I also did it for Amy and for me. This is our family. You, me, Sam, and Amy. And Mika-" Allen gave me a quick kiss before stepping back and walking to the other side of the room.

I stood where I was, confused. A second later, after pulling something out of his underwear draw, he was back in front of me, keeping whatever it was behind his back.

"Mika, I said this before, and I plan on saying it again and again until you tell me to stop, although I hope you never do: I love you and I'll love you forever. I know we had said this wouldn't happen just yet, but I need to ask anyway. We don't even have to set a date yet or we could go with three years from now, for all I care. I just want this to be a promise between us that we'll stick together, for each other and for our family." He knelt in front of me, opening the little box in his hands to reveal a gold band. "Mika, will you marry me?"

I'm pretty sure my heart stopped beating for a few seconds. My immediate response was going to be no, but I couldn't form the word. What was there to say no to? Here was this man who loved me more than I could ever imagine, and I loved him too. He was safe - giving me a home, money, and food whenever I wanted. But he was also the one allowing me to chase my dreams and is willing to explore the world and really live with me. He's the one who finally gave me a family I can call my own.

I found myself nodding, the word 'Okay' reaching my ears before I even registered that I had said it.

The next thing I knew, I was in Allen's arms, being spun around as his lips crashed against mine. We were both smiling into this kiss and that's when I realized it.

I do want this. I wanted to marry Allen. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I wanted to be a father to Sammy. I wanted all of this.