Chapter 8: busy busy busy

"How are you feeling?" Tyson asked, sliding a plate toward Alcott when she emerged from the bedroom. She looked tired, but Tyson didn't want to point it out; he was sure Alcott knew.

"Little Marcus doesn't sleep well at night," she said with a yawn. "He's going to get an earful when he's born. I feel fine, just very pregnant."

She took the plate with thanks; Tyson wasn't great in the kitchen, but he could cook up an egg and toast bread as well as anyone. They ate quickly, tossing the plates in the sink to deal with later. It was almost like they were just roommates; or at least, this is what Tyson told himself.

"What do you have going on today?" Alcott inquired.

"Just appointments," he replied.

Tyson wished he could talk to Alcott about the people he saw. But no, everyone on this base knew too much as it was, he didn't want to put her in an uncomfortable position. Tyson had never considered a journal before, but he thought starting one might be helpful. At least then he could get all his thoughts in order.

"Well, feel free to drop by botany for lunch," she told him. "If not, I'll see you tonight."

Tyson nodded and headed down the hall. He would have never guessed that he could find his way around the place so soon, but he made it to medical with little to-do. Blair greeted him at the door and Tyson couldn't read the expression in Blair's eyes.

"Do you have a moment?" he asked.

"Sure, do we want to go into my office?"

When Blair nodded, Tyson walked passed him to open the door, letting Blair in before shutting it again.

"What's going on?"

"Thank you," Blair said gruffly. "I did... I had no idea that you'd go out and talk to Edison and Cameron and it's just...fixed. Thank you."

"You're welcome," Tyson replied. "Did builds come by already?"

"No, but Madison and I both set up times with them. I think Joan is as well. I hadn't thought about how they might be dealing with this."

Tyson smiled. "I want to help, Blair. Not just one person at a time, but the base to be and feel better. These are little steps."

"Little steps that meant a lot," Blair replied. "Anyway, I should get back to work. Thank you."

Tyson sat down in his seat and sighed contently. He knew that not everyday would start this way, but he was glad that he was able to make visible progress. He hoped then other people would feel comfortable talking to him.

But before he could get to work, someone knocked on his door. He called for them to come in and Keller opened the door. He had a young face framed with blonde hair, and reminded Tyson of some of the young men he had worked with back on Earth.

"Sorry, I know I should have message you, or waited for you to message me, but I..."

"Keller, you're fine. Breathe."

Keller took a deep breath and grinned. "And it gets me out of personnel for a little while."

"You don't like being there?" Tyson inquired, resisting the urge to take notes as if this was appointment.

Keller stepped into the office and shut the door.

"I like the work. It's just not what I thought it was going to be. Cameron is not Gilére. Sorry, you don't know who that is; he was the former department head. He was killed on Landing Day." Keller rolled his shoulders. "Requesting a transfer would be too difficult; especially since we're low on people in personnel anyway. I'll be fine."