Chapter 18: unexpected responses

Cameron was home earlier than Harper and so started work on dinner. It wasn't going to be anything fancy, but she wanted the evening to be a nice time. Harper limped in short while later, looking exhausted.

"Hey babe," he said before folding onto the couch.

She hurried to his side, worried that he had overexerted himself. He gave Cameron a smile before wrapping her in his arms and kissing her neck.

"What in the stars were you doing in archives to be this tired?" she wondered. "Were you moving tekcom?"

"What? No," he promised. "I had interviews all day. We're looking for two more people for archives and I stupidly decided to interview each and every one of them. Teenagers are..." he shook his head. "It seems like so long ago."

"Sixty years ago," Cameron teased.

Harper rolled his eyes. "You know what I mean. What did you do for lunch? I came by and didn't see you."

"I met with Dashiell," she said. "He wants to be nominated for captain again, obviously, but I think that he should wait. I think it would be better to settle the term limits before he runs again. Dylan will intervene otherwise and make term limits rotatedly short, like a cycle or two." She shook her head. "I don't like fighting with Dylan. I think that she and Dashiell have a lot in common."

"Sure," Harper said doubtfully.

He sat up and stretched his legs before rising from the couch. Cameron rose with him and he peered at the salad she was putting together.

"Tomatoes," he said, dismayed.

"I like tomatoes," she told him, planting a kiss on his cheek. "Why don't you see what fruit we can cut up for dessert?"

Harper grumbled more about tomatoes, but found two apples and a knife, slicing dutifully. Cameron added bell pepper and tomato to the salad and wondered if she should heat up the chicken or not. Maybe not, she decided. The rest of the meal was cold.

"How did your first department meeting go?" she asked.

"Good, really good," Harper replied around an apple slice. He swallowed. "We decided to vote on our department head. I'm in charge of archives now."

Cameron's knife almost slipped. She set it down and turned to face Harper fully who had an apologetic look on his face.

"Were you going to tell me?" she questioned.

"I was trying to figure out how to say without it sounding stupid," he admitted. "I don't think I succeeded."

Cameron shook her head and then started to laugh. Harper looked worried and confused, but Cameron had to take a moment before she was able to compose herself.

"This is how you must have felt when I told you I was pregnant," she said, still chuckling. "Harper, did you think I would be mad?"

"I don't know, maybe?" he said defensively.

She abandoned the salad to step toward Harper, taking his puzzled face in her hands and kissing him. He relaxed.

"If we're both on congress, I don't have to pander to Dashiell; we can effect change on our own. You didn't have to hide such news, I'm happy for you. I'm happy for us."

"Really?"

"We're the only couple on congress, and we're the only Aeneid/Canary couple so far. And the process of partnering is up for debate. Others will be upset that archives circumvented congress's ruling, but it was perfectly legal." She kissed him again. "I'm really proud. Whose idea was it? Matisse?"