Chapter 11: calm congress meeting

My hands still shook as I took my seat in the congress meeting. I wished that I didn't feel so frightened all the time; I didn't have this problem before Landing Day. Levi came in a short while after me and sat with Anatoly across the table. Dashiell entered and assumed his seat next to Cameron. He was considered the head of the judicial department.  As the rest filed in, Vertov gave us all a smile.

"Our expedition is faring well, I heard from them this morning," he said. "So rather than discuss what they may or may not find, why don't we continue with our rather extensive agenda? Ibsen?"

"Dylan's assessment of the life support onboard the Aeneid means that we don't have nearly as much work to do," Ibsen replied. "Moving it is beyond the scope of this cycle, but the project of a satellite base is far cheaper than we thought it would be."

"What's your next step?"

"When we have materials, I want to build a machine to dig out the Aeneid," he said. "I'm working with Philippe to design the vehicle. Other than that, we're working with Anatoly to plant some grasses around the base and lake, and with Joan and Bell to analyze the materials at the expedition site."

"Keeping busy," Vertov laughed. "Are you good? Do you need more people?"

"We have all the apprentices we can handle," Ibsen promised.

"Good. Cameron, how are your new apprentices?"

"They're good," she said. "It's just slow going."

"Speaking of," Levi mentioned,. "I think Matisse should go back to personnel. He's there all the time and taking new apprentices wouldn't hurt us."

Vertov nodded. "That makes sense to me. Cameron, could you send Levi some names?

"Will do," Cameron nodded. "That's all for me, sir."

Madison nervously fiddled with her holo-rib and then opened a file before clearing her throat.

"I've gone over the numbers again," she said. "We have to start putting people into cryo this cycle if we don't make a different decision on genetics on this base. We have another option that I'm exploring, but it's..." She paused. "It has its own challenges."

She had everyone's attention. I couldn't imagine what Madison was proposing that had her so worried.

"I think we should start a genetic bank and give couples the option of in vitro fertilization," she explained. "It wouldn't necessarily be their child by blood, but it would allow us to maintain genetic variance and keep people on the base."

"I hear a 'but' at the end of the sentence," Vertov remarked.

"With this measure, we wouldn't need to partner anyone," she explained. "People could be with who they wanted, but we, or rather, medical would be in charge of children to come."

"Well, that's good, isn't it?" Dashiell questioned, his confusion plan on his face.

"Not necessarily," Madison replied. "Because with the exception of your family and Titus's, every single person of age on this base has been partnered already. Everyone around this table. If we change this now, then all of that was for no reason." Madison sighed. "Neither ship used in vitro before partially because of facilities and partially because partners keep the peace," she said. "it means that we have to work together in a way that our own personal feelings don't get as involved. We all know couples who were unhappy in their pairing. Tyson and Alcott are not an exception. I think those people would have a right to be upset."

"Canary people won't be," Louis remarked.

The room turned to him in surprise.

"People have children with their partner, sure, but we don't dwell on it like the Aeneid crew did," he pointed out. "I happen to still live with my partner, but I know that most don't. Joan hadn't lived with Lincoln in cycles. Reagan's involved with Harriet. It's not weird to us. I don't think we'd care either way. I can't speak for everyone of course, but I think it's the Aeneid folks who will be upset."