Chapter 22: staying out of government

"That didn't go so badly," Esperanza told Lully when he relayed his conversation with Dylan.

More people were leaving today. Lully still didn't know if he or Emerson would be the ones staying. More tents were coming down and being packed away. Esperanza had volunteered them to fold the tents up to fit better on the hover.

He grimaced. "I guess. I had no idea she would be calling her crew on an off-day; that alone is rotated."

"We're out here on an off day," Esperanza pointed out.

"Oui, but we are on an expedition. We don't really have a choice," Lully replied, grunting a little as he lifted the folded fabric to set on the hover. "And we'll have more weeks like that when we join exploration."

"I know," she sighed happily and helped spread out the next tent on the ground to fold. "I'm really glad that we'll be out here more. I think it will be good for us to get away for a while. And we'll take photos of the sky and whatever we see, and you can make prints when we get home. I bet people would buy them."

"Maybe," he allowed. "One step first; we have to talk to Vertov and Madison."

"I've already messaged Madison," she replied with a grin. "Madison said exploration has been asking for a medical team member for cycles now. She is completely fine letting me go; there's others she can train to take my place."

"I don't think Vertov will be as amenable," Lully admitted. "No one else wants my job."

"We'll come up with something," Esperanza promised.

The tents were easily folded with two people; soon the only people who would be here were the skeleton crew supporting Bell and Joan. Oliver was complaining about it when they got back to the tent.

"I know you'll be fine without me," Harriet said. "It's absurd to have the both of us. And someone should watch your unruly daughter."

"My daughter? Oh, I'm not the one who spoils her," Oliver shot back. "And make sure the chicken and turnips get back here, please."

"I will," she laughed. "You two are staying, yes?"

"Oui," Esperanza replied. "The outside is growing on me. I like it out here."

"That's good," Oliver noted. "When I hear that you and Lully might be joining us. Couldn't get enough of our company, could you? It's my boyish charm that always pulls them in."

"Boyish, sure, nothing remotely like charm," Harriet snorted. "Anyway, I'm glad that you two are thinking about it. Now we'll see what the boss-men think of the arrangement. I doubt highly that Vertov will just let you go."

"Told you," Lully remarked. "Do you need help carrying anything up to the hover? We're done with the extra tents."

"Lully!"

Emerson came up to the tent and had to take a moment to breathe before continuing to speak.

"Where is your holo-rib?" he asked. "Vertov messaged me because you didn't answer."

Lully patted his person down and realized it wasn't on him. He must have dropped it. Esperanza frowned

"I'll go check by the hover; you two talk," she said.

"What's wrong?" Lully asked.

"Not sure," Emerson said. "Mostly I ran over because Vertov decided that you needed to come home more; something about the printer queues. You'll need to hurry; Joan wants to leave within the hour."