Chapter 10: schemes

Harper hobbled into archives, partially to talk to Levi, partially to feel like his own person again. Cameron had been good about not hovering, but still. His leg still ached and shoulder had lost a great deal of muscle, making him feel weak and useless.

"Hey Harper!" Libba called.

She had put up a sheet of paper on the wall with little pieces of string and small blue squares. Harper peered at her with a little confusion.

"What are you making?" he asked.

"A timeline," she said. "I just couldn't keep all the facts in my head and the holo-rib was too complicated. This way I can keep the facts straight and then work with Levi to make a better filing system. By month and year doesn't make sense since we don't have months anymore. And we need different timelines for science and politics and social events. What are you up to?"

"I just finished building the message aggregate that Levi wanted; now we can send information to the departments who want it quickly," Harper replied. "Not that anyone but printing has wanted any of it."

"It'll take time," Libba remarked. "This is new. We've never had a library before. People are used to doing things on their own."

She gave Harper a pointed look toward his cane. He sighed.

"I'm fine, Libba," he said. "Cameron is taking care of me. I'm taking care of me. But all this sitting has left me with a lot of time on my hands. I like to code."

"So long as you're being careful," Libba remarked. "Cameron missed you, Harper. She would never say it, but she missed you a great deal."

Harper sometimes wished his partner were more demonstrative. He felt like he was the last to know what she was feeling.

"Speak of, where is everyone?" he asked.

"I'm in here," Laurier called.

He stepped out of the makeshift hallway, tools hanging off his belt.

"I'm trying to consolidate," he said. "We have like, six power supplies from four different decades back here. As soon as Matisse says everything is backed up, I'm going to shut down the whole thing and try again." He grinned. "This beats satellites very day; I can made adjustments later instead it being in the sky and inaccessible."

"Sure," Harper said, glad someone found the hardware interesting. He knew enough to build what he needed, but he didn't love it like Laurier seemed to.

"And Matisse is helping with payroll today," Libba added. "Willa was having trouble again. And he would rather be over there anyway."

"We should get someone new to replace him," Harper remarked. "Instead of stretching personnel so thin."

"True," Laurier agreed. "We need someone who knows tekcom better. You're good, Harper, but you're just one person. Two would be nice."

"I can talk to Cameron, ask who is free," Harper offered.

"It's Levi's job," Laurier countered. "I mean, by all means ask, but Levi is the only one who can request help. Not that he's here to know we need it."

"He's adjusting," Libba scolded.

Laurier rolled his eyes and returned to his work. Harper shifted uncomfortably; where was Levi?

"He's been working in botany," Libba said quietly, as if she heard his unspoken question. "Not that I can blame him, but I think we'd be more...productive if he was in the room. We're all working on our own projects right now."

"I still need to talk to him, so I'll go," Harper decided. "And then probably be working from home after. Let me know if you need anything."

"Will do," she replied. "See you around, Harper."