Chapter 35: the truth will be set free?

"I'm messaging Madison," Lully told Esperanza when they made it to their berth. "Don't argue. We're going as soon as she can meet us there."

She only nodded as he helped her to the couch. The drive back had taken something out of her, and she closed her eyes as she leaned back. Lully's fingers brushed against her forehead and muttered to himself, wondering how he hadn't noticed how poorly she was feeling. He knew that something had been wrong, and she hadn't been honest with him or herself. Being off base had been too stressful, lower oxygen, different sleep cycle, something. She had started to noticeably flag as they unloaded the hovers, even Joan and Oliver had glanced at Esperanza with concern.

"I'm getting you some water, petal," Lully said, hurrying to the kitchen to get her a glass.

"Merci beaucoup," she murmured from the couch.

He put the glass in her hand and she sipped it, opening her eyes. She opened her brown eyes and gave him a faint smile. He squeezed her hand and only turned away from her to pick up his holo-rib when it chimed.

"We're going now," Lully told her. "Come here."

He picked up Esperanza and headed out into the corridor. She rolled her eyes, but wrapped her arms around his neck

"I can walk," she protested.

"If Madison clears you, then you can walk back," he promised.

The medical bay wasn't far and Lully strode in, depositing Esperanza on one of the exam tables. Madison came in a moment later and frowned at the two of them.

"I think we'd better get some blood drawn," she said. "You look terrible, dear."

"I'm just tired; it's been a long week," Esperanza told her, but rolled up her sleeve. "I'll feel better sleeping in my own bed and having a day off."

Madison tsked at her as she procured several empty vials. Lully took Esperanza's hand, hoping that was exactly what was wrong. He couldn't entertain the possibility she was sick again; that thought was too terrifying.

"When will we have the results?" he asked, once Madison began filling the vials with Esperanza's blood.

"Late tomorrow. Late enough that you don't need wake up early and be stalking down here. I'll message you, I promise," she said. "Rest, both of you. And drink plenty of water; judging by these samples, you could afford to drink more water. So do that when you get home."

She pulled the needle and placed a gauze pad against Esperanza's inner elbow. Esperanza waited until Madison secured it with a piece of tape and then hopped off the examining table.

"Are you sure about walking home?" Lully questioned.

"We aren't going home," Esperanza told him. "We have that dinner with your parents. I'm sure they had food and water, and that's exactly what Madison will tell me I need. Right?"

"Correct," Madison laughed. "And Austen's berth is closer. Enjoy your dinner."

"I thought we'd meet up when I messaged them," Lully questioned.

"Oui, but I knew you wouldn't or you would forget, so I messaged them when we got off the hover," Esperanza laughed. "Come on, your madre will wonder where we are."

Lully had hoped to avoid his madre, but no luck now. She would have all sorts of opinions about his becoming lieutenant. He thanked Madison for her time and trudged after his partner.

"They're probably excited for you, Lully," Esperanza noted. "You don't have worry so; you outrank her now."

"Because that means anything to my madre," Lully complained. "Petal, I wish you would have said something. I would have put on a clean shirt."