Lightsabers & Holocrons

Ezra had been on the Ghost for two days now. Most of his toys where in a toy box in the loading bay. A few of his toys were laying on his bunk in his cabin next to Kanan's cabin. Hera even made sure all his clothes were put in the closet. She had called Fulcrum who had arranged for him to be fostered by a family on Alderaan at the end of the week.

Kanan and Hera had also gathered more information about his parents and some of their equipment and information they had planned on broadcasting.

Someone always stayed with Ezra on the Ghost. Hera didn't trust Chopper with the kid even though the droid was actually pretty nice to the child and normally looked after the young boy when the other two were both busy. So what happened that day was a bit of a shock.

"I just want to find out where that music is coming from Chopper." Ezra says while using a droid arm to pick the lock to Kanan's cabin while the two adults were talking to someone outside.

Chopper beeped at the kid.

"I know it's Kanan's room, but I've heard that music every since I first step foot on this ship and it's louder here. The adults never let me explore the ship, so this might be my only chance to find out what's making that noise." The seven year old said.

Chopper beeped at the kid again.

"What could possibly be dangerous about something that makes such a pretty sound?" Ezra asked. Chopper grunted giving up and waved his arms around. He then rolled off to the two adults.

"Hey Chop." Hera says. "You done with all the repairs?"

"Wait where's Ezra?" Kanan asked. The Jedi froze as the force screamed at him that something was about to go bad if he didn't act quickly. Chopper beeped.

"What do you mean he's breaking into my cabin?" The Jedi yelled as he ran into the ship.

"Chopper why did you let him wonder around the ship?" Hera asked. Chopper beeped at her. "Ok, I'm glad you didn't shock the poor kid, and came and got us instead. Sorry sir but we have to go."

The man they were talking to nodded to say he understood. Hera took off after Kanan and Chopper followed her.

Kanan got to his cabin just in time to see Ezra with his lightsaber. He used the force to pull it out of the kids hands just as Ezra figured out how to ignite it. He pull the kid to him and away from the blue blade just as quickly as blade extended out.

"Kid what do you think your doing? You could have killed yourself with that." Kanan yelled as Ezra struggled in his arms.

"I was just trying to figure out why it was playing music." The boy explained.

"What he get into?" Hera asked as she got to the door.

"Somehow he found my lightsaber, and nearly stabbed himself with it. If I wouldn't have gotten here when I did..." Kanan had to stop to let out a sigh of relief.

"Lightsaber?" Ezra says looking at the blue blade now laying on the floor.

"So you do have one." Hera says.

"Isn't that the weapon of the Jedi?" Ezra asked.

"Yes." Kanan answered both question at once.

"I thought the Jedi were gone." The kid said.

"Not all of us." Kanan said.

"Ezra why are you even in here?" Hera asked.

"I wanted to find out what was playing that music I keep hearing. It's always loudest outside Kanan's door. I just wanted to find out what was making it." Ezra explained to the Twi'lik. He pointed to the lightsaber. "I found that and it stopped so I was trying to get it to play again. I didn't know it would do that."

"There is no way. He can't be can he?" Kanan says as hears the kid's explanation. "Ezra, do you hear music all the time?"

"I always have. Following it has gotten me food, water, and keep the stormtroopers from finding me. It told me to hide when my parents were arrested." Kanan couldn't believe what the kid was saying. He let go of him. Ezra reached towards the lightsaber's blade.

"Ezra don't touch that!" Hera yelled. "You could hurt yourself."

Ezra pulled his hand back. Kanan got up and grabbed the lightsaber and turned it off. He put it back in the open drawer and pulled out his Holocron. He closed the drawer afterwards.

"Ezra come here." Kanan says. Ezra walks over to him and he gets down on his knees to get eye level with the kid. "I'm going let borrow this while you're here. Someone I was very close to gave it to me just before they died, so it means a lot to me." He explains as he shows it to the boy.

"What is it?" Ezra asked as he took it.

"Let's just say it's a puzzle box for now. You have to figure out how to open it." Kanan says.

"What's inside?" The seven year old asked. He tried to twist one of the corners.

"If you can get it open then it might explain the music you keep hearing." Kanan answered him.

"I'll try then. You sure you trust me with it? What if it breaks?" Ezra asked.

"It's kinda hard to break so I think it will be fine in your hands. Just let me know if you open it." Kanan says. "Now go back to your room and play. Ok?"

"Ok Kanan I'll let you know if I open it." The child said.

"You think he's force sensitive?" Hera asked Kanan as soon as Ezra left the room.

"With how the kid talked about that music he hears. I can't think of another explanation for it." Kanan says. "You haven't heard any music have you?"

"No, but neither have you." Hera replies.

"That's because I normally see it. It's like looking at a graph that shows you what's about to happen. I do hear it every once in awhile. Like when we were at the tower just before he shot at us. I heard a whistle in the force just before I saw the blast coming at you." Kanan explained. "If he hears it he could be interpreting it as music. I'll know for sure if he opens the Holocron."

"You think you can train him if he is?" Hera ask.

"I'm not sure. I didn't finish my training. I don't know how much I can teach him. I just have to find out if he's the kid my master and I were supposed to protect and bring to the temple." Kanan answers her.