21- Oh oh, we're in trouble...

Valak's office was darker than usual

Valak's office was darker than usual. The heavy maroon drapes she'd gotten to match her nails were drawn almost closed, with just enough light to make out the angular features of her face and her daily nun gown, which seemed much less holy now that she had a cigarette in her hand. The smoke bellowed majestically from the end as she drew in a long hard pull, her sharp nails glistening as her hand touched the light before disappearing towards the ash tray in the shadow.

The usual smell of citrus furnishing spray was poisoned by the smoke as well as an underlying scent of antiseptic being emitted by Trent's bandages making the already dense atmosphere much more uninviting.

"Perhaps I have been unclear about how dire the situation at hand is," Valak said in a clear crisp voice. "You both seem to be under the impression that this mission is to be taken lightly simply because you're surrounded by your peers." Another puff of smoked escaped from her lips. "G69 you've told me multiple times that B92 is... improving, but last night was all the evidence I needed to see you're a liar. Either that or you're terrible at your assigned duty."

Valak leaned forward so that her shiny eyes were in the light and they were staring right at me. "B92," she said my name so flavourlessly. "You have clearly proven that you're incapable of change. It was rather ridiculous of me to even think that a natural born killer could go against her own instincts."

Trent and I didn't dare say a word. In moments like these it was always best to let her speak and only use carefully chosen replies when asked a question. She ashed her cigarette and pushed the tray to the side so she could bring a whiskey glass in it's place.

"The board wants me to pull you from this mission..."

"Valak we're so close there's no need to do that," Trent said and immediately got shot a death stare. I could barely see, it but I could feel it.

"You're so close?" she laughed dryly. "A damn cat burglar could have done your job better than you." So why hadn't she hired one, I thought to myself as I sat silently in the chair.

Valak gulped the rest of her whiskey down and continued. "As I was saying, the board wants me to pull you, but I'd be stupid to do that. You're both already too far into this mess and G69, I'm sure you wouldn't want that rather large battle scar to have been for nothing." Trent didn't look the slightest bit amused. His face lacked it's bright lively wit; the light creases on his forehead and low cornered lips were proof that he was in no mood for anyone today, especially me.

"I'm changing the orders of your mission," Valak announced, casually throwing a grey file right in front of me.

"In there you're going to find information about some so called secret league. The agent that stole the capsule was hired by them."

I took the file and began browsing through the pages. There wasn't much, but there was just enough to prove that all the information Grayson had told me was true.

"Do we know why they needed it?" Trent asked.

"Well, it was your job to find out," Valak pointed out. "But this facade you've been on has cost us a lot of time. So from here on out I will be handling all main operations of this mission personally."

"What does that mean for us?" I asked.

"To avoid raising suspicion you'll remain at that school until further notice and try not to create more problems for the Agency. In there you'll find a logo this secret society uses to brand it's workers. The agent most likely has a similar mark somewhere on his body."

My heart dropped the second I set eyes on the page... Grayson's tattoo.

"Look familiar?" she asked.

Trent leaned over to take a look. "No."

"B92?"

My breathing came to a hault as I tried to figure out how she'd even found out about the society, how she'd found out about the tattoo. Did she know about Grayson? Was she testing me right now? What else had she found out on her little research escapade.

"B92?" Valak repeated.

"No, never seen it," I answered hoarsely.

I looked up from her page and into her eyes, they were icier than usual. I tried to search them for answers, but they gave me nothing but a hallow stare. Perhaps she was searching me too. She did that often, and over the years I'd mastered the art of lying through her. She held my gaze for what felt like an eternity then continued.

"Alright then. You'll both help each other in the search. The second you find him, I want him dead."

I almost dissolved in my seat at her words.

The telephone's loud chime interrupted her from speaking any further about the matter. Instead she used her " inside voice" to talk to what sounded like a parent of one of the girls from school; noticing how long the conversation would end up being she fanned us away with her hand, signaling that the meeting had been dismissed.

Sorry it is so short. I am super tired, I feel like collapsing and dying... then waking up tomorrow.