Chapter 11

Kiera pushed her way through the startled yelps, roughly pushing aside people as she struggled past in her pursuit of the man. She muttered sorrys and excuse me under her breath, but their feelings were not her priority. 

That man was. 

Bursting through the front door, she could clearly see him walking some several meters away, a black umbrella shielding him from the rain which was now quite heavy. Kiera regretted not bringing some sort of umbrella or coat too, but that wasn't important. 

At a brisk pace, she began to make her way to the man, who was happily strolling down the sidewalk. Walking several paces behind him, footsteps masked by the rain, she thought about how to approach. Then, remembering his friendly demeanour and the smile the barista gave him, she got an idea. Moving her wet hair out of her face, which now hung like rat's tails around her head,  she ran to catch up with him.
"Hello! Hello, excuse me?" Kiera added a note of helplessness into her voice, channelling the essence of a person distraught. the man stopped walking and turned to hair, giving her a pleasant, if surprised smile. 
"Oh yes? How can I help you?" Kiera placed a worried expression on her face.
"Oh please, sir! Can you share your umbrella? I've been caught in the rain and I don't want my bag to get wet!" The man looked hesitant. He looked to the gestured bag hanging by Kiera's waist, then his eyes darted to her face. He must have seen something there, for he lifted his umbrella higher, and gestured for her to come under.

"Well, alright. I supposed my umbrella's big enough anyway." Kiera graciously stepped under, whispering a breathy thank you and replacing her mask with one of relief. "Right so... I'm going this way, is that okay?"
"Oh yes! That's fine- I mean I don't want to be any more of a burden to you- well more than I already am anyway, but-" The man cut off her ramblings.

"Oh, you're alright. Glad to help someone out!" His voice shone with sincerity, and Kiera smiled inwardly that he took her bait. Walking next to him, Kiera shot him a sideways glance, eager to study the man with a shadow for a reflection. He wasn't much taller than her, but he was stocky built, with thick arms covered by his trench coat. His back was straight as he walked- good posture. His mahogany face held a placid smile, and Kiera thought that this can't possibly be someone with such a dark side. But if Kiera knew anything, it's that appearances were deceiving. She was the best example.

"Oh, I forgot to ask. If we're going to be walking together-" He chuckled- "What is your name?" Kiera paused for a moment, considering what to tell him when the man started again. "Oh sorry- of course, only if you want to! My name's Zeke." Zeke's voice carried a hint of an accent, but Kiera couldn't place it. 
"Oh, yeah that's fine. My name's Lucy." The fake name rolled off her tongue. She needed to ensure that he couldn't find her again if something did go wrong.

"Well, Lucy. What's in that bag that you don't want to get so wet?" Kiera looked down, following his gaze.
"Oh, it's just some paperwork I have to give to my teacher. But my computer crashed, so this is kinda my only copy." The lies were coming to her easily now, the fear of the unknown keeping her senses sharp and her mind sharper.

"Oh, yeah. Tough break." Zeke gave her a sympathetic smile. Kiera looked at his hands, at the one not holding the umbrella. Clasped firmly in his gloves, Zeke carried a briefcase. It seemed expensive, made of cool black leather. 
"What's in yours?" Kiera hooded her eyes, keeping her expression mild as she turned the spotlight to him. Zeke's eyes flashed, and briefly, he made eye contact with Kiera.

"Just some.... documents." His hesitation gave him away. Kiera returned her attention to walking, a plan forming in her head. Stopping suddenly, Kiera turned to face Zeke. 

"Oh! I just remembered something!" Zeke's face became puzzled.
"What?" Walking past him, Kiera walked into the alleyway she had stopped them in front of. She gestured back to him.

"Come on!" Zeke hesitated. But, he ultimately decided to follow her. Kiera was stopped at the end of the alleyway, the path dying at a brick wall. On one side was a dumpster, but the high walls of the buildings that enclosed the space ensured that the only way out was the way in. The rain still beat down, still heavy.
"Lucy?" Zeke's voice carried a strain of apprehension, detecting something off. "What is it?" The smiles were gone now, replaced by hardened stares.

"Who are you." The words came out with force, steel like in their delivery. 
"What? I'm Zeke. What are you on about?"
Kiera's gaze narrowed. "I suppose a better question would be; what are you?" Zeke looked taken aback, but after a beat chuckled with the absurdity of the situation.
"Girl, you are off your meds. I'm going to have to leave now." He turned to leave, but before he got to the entrance of the alley, he met an invisible wall that effectively sealed off the rest of the world. When he turned back around again, the friendly facade was gone. His face was replaced with an unemotional mask that hid all. "Lucy?" His voice was lower now, dangerous. Kiera stood with her arms crossed, drenched by the rain.

"Lucy?" Zeke repeated himself, feeling drained from his voice.
"I'll ask again. What are you."