Chapter 33

The name 'The Keep' did not do the building justice. As they drew closer, Kiera saw it was even bigger than what she had first assumed. A sprawling structure, it reminded her of a cross between a victorian manor house and a castle. The front was made from stone blocks, the corners accentuated with a white trim. The front doors were twice the height of a normal door and arched towards the top. Two huge marble columns framed the entranceway and the rest of the front was lined with arched bay windows which glowed softly with light from within. Counting up, Kiera guessed it to be at least 4 stories high, but with the many different layers the building had- a turret here, a balcony there- it was difficult to tell. Lark climbed the steps to the front door and twisted the wrought iron ring of the handle.

"Where is everyone?" Kiera was perplexed. Lark removed her hands from the door to look at her, nervousness etched on her face as she did.
"I am not sure. All I know is that He was adamant that you see the fewest amount of faces before you meet Him." She spoke his name with the utmost respect, a kind reserved awe she hadn't heard much in her considerably short lifetime. Lark turned back to the door, and with a heave, it swung smoothly inwards. The room beyond was beautiful. Straight ahead were two doors not unlike the ones they just passed through, and framing them, were two great curving staircases that lead up to a balcony overhanging the edges of the foyer. The ceiling hung loftily over her head, echoing the sound of the door closing behind her. From the ceiling hung a baroque chandelier, the biggest one that Kiera had ever seen, that stood centrepiece. Peering closer at it, Kiera could see dozens of candles within the glass stems, and in her mind, she thought it impossible that it could light up the space so well. The floor beneath her feet was marble and had a striking resemblance to a chess board. Heavy red velvet drapes enclosed the windows by the door, and although the windows were only as tall as the front door, the drapes climbed all the way to the ceiling. Kiera had ever felt so small in all her life.

"Wow." Kiera didn't feel that she could've said anything else in that moment, she was so awestruck. Lark gave her a knowing smile.

"I am told it's quite impressive. But please, follow." Kiera obeyed, her feet slow to move as she still took in the space around her. Lark climbed one of the staircases, the clipped echo of her feet cut short upon stepping on the thick red carpet there. Lark lead her through a maze of corridors and Kiera followed closely behind. The glances she got from the windows she passed revealed that the ground also had quite a considerable garden, and at one point, Kiera even thought she caught sight of a hedge maze. Everything was so different from what she imagined. With a dreary name such as "The Abyss", so far, things had actually been peculiarly pleasant. Although... Kiera could not help the feeling of dread at the prospect of the much revered Ramatee. Finally, Lark stopped outside a room. She turned to Kiera.
"I have to depart for now, but Analise will be here soon. Just get acquainted with your room before she arrives." Lark gave Kiera a pointed smile before she walked away, leaving Kiera at a loss for words. Within moments, she had rounded a corner and disappeared from sight.
Kiera gave a small sigh, before turning to the door Lark had gestured to and entering the room.

The bedroom she found herself in was luxurious. Much like the hallways they had travelled to get here, the room was lit by candlelight, hung in a glass light fixture from the ceiling. Kiera could not help but feel as if the light was boosted in some way, as a single candle would not be able to light up that much of the room. But her being amazed by that was laughable- there was a sky with no sun or moon just outside. There was a king sized canopy bed pushed up against one wall, complete with soft looking pillows and red silk bed covers. The flooring from the foyer was continued here, and Kiera felt the cold marble beneath her feet. What took centre stage in the room, however, was the huge floor to ceiling window that took up the far wall. Through it, Kiera got a spectacular view of some of the gardens, which she surmised must surround the entirety of the Keep. And beyond that, Kiera once again appreciated the sky, with its many, many stars. It caught her out every time she saw it.