Chapter 35

Slamming the door, it took a while for Kiera's seething anger to settle enough that she noticed that Analise had waited for her. She stood off to the side, eyes wide as she looked at Kiera. Kiera took in her nervous disposition, the way she kept continually wringing her hands. Kiera watched her, without really seeing. Her mind was elsewhere, still reeling from the verbal punch that had been thrown at her. A wife? Kiera felt a new wave of anger flush through her. She was incredulous that he would even begin to think that she-

Kiera suddenly rounded on Analise, something else falling into place

"You knew, didn't you?" Analise didn't meet her eyes, keeping them pointed downward and away from Kiera's searing gaze. "This whole time, you knew what would happen when you walked me up that carpet."
Analise gave an audible gulp, muttering something under her breath.

"What was that?" Kiera's anger only boiled further. Analise cowered under her gaze.

"I'm sorry." Analise barely whispered the words, fear palpable in her voice. Kiera was taken aback by the apology, then mentally kicked herself for being mad at the girl. She knew that was not the person she wanted to rage at. Kiera sighed.

"No, I'm sorry Ana. I shouldn't have gotten angry with you." Analise drew in a deep breath, before giving Kiera a watery smile. She must have been told not to tell Kiera anything. She couldn't be mad at her. "Can we just go back to my room?" Analise gave her a relieved smile.

"Of course, my lady." Kiera bristled at the title but decided not to speak out against it.

***

Kiera was able to keep a brave face as Analise bought her back, but after a terse goodbye, Kiera couldn't stop the cracks in her facade from spreading. Her resolved fled from her and her determination to carry on flew away. Her knees collapsed from under her, and her back hit the door with a dull thump. Sliding down it, Kiera buried her face in her arms and wept. Her weeping was graceless, ugly. She thought of the dress she wore now as ugly, marred because it was owned by him.

She was owned by him.

But since she could not rip the skin from her face at the thought of his possession, Kiera began furiously shredding the gown that clothed her, starting with the skirt. She ripped the under-layers first, shredding the petticoats into heaps on the floor. Her hands worked frenziedly, fueled by the raging emotions flooding Kiera's mind. She was barely aware of the tears that slid down her face. By the end, surrounded by the carnage of what once was a beautiful dress, Kiera stared blankly out the window whilst remembering the last time she had had a breakdown this bad. Back then, there were the comforting arms of Mera to hold her together, and now, staring at an alien sky, Kiera only had her own shaking arms. Kiera sat on the edge of her bed, not drawing her eyes away from the sky, the tattered remains of the dress still desperately clinging onto her body. She watched as the colour gradually bled from the sky, and the stars dimmed from their previous brilliance. As the grounds below became washed in a monochrome cast. The world darkened, and Kiera realised that this must be what passed for night. She did not move from her spot as she searched the sky for stars, to find that only the brightest had remained. Kiera felt that they wept for her, their brooding silence her gentle companions. Kiera finally laid down on the bed, not bothering to climb under the covers or even take her dress off as she fell willingly into the vacant arms of sleep.

***

Kiera woke to timid knocking on her door. Pulling herself out of her groggy state, she felt panic flutter like a trapped bird in her chest as she realised the sorry state she was in. Sitting up straight, she stilled as the knocking stopped.

"My Lady? Please, it is time." Kiera recognised the hushed tones of Analise and realised she could not be seen looking like this.
"Oh, uhh, give me a minute!" She managed to stammer out the words before rushing around to pick up every scrap of fabric that had been discarded from the night before. She would be damned if Analise would see her in this state- she didn't want to be seen as vulnerable. As someone to be pitied. She didn't want anyone to see her as anything other than able. The evidence of her breakdown bundled in her arms, Kiera's eyes darted around to a suitable place to stash it. Thinking quickly, Kiera stuffed it under her bed. She'd have to dispose of it later, but at least the covers of the bed reached the floor. Kiera was about to call out for Analise to come in when she realised she was still wearing the remains of the dress. Shredding it, and putting it with the others, Kiera gave her face a hasty wipe with her arm before calling her in.