Chapter 1

The metallic stench of blood and rotting corpses overclouded my senses and filled me with unease. The terrifying screams of the people who I had once disliked were muffled out by the sobs of the children that clung on to me. The children of the village clung to me, seeking comfort and reasurance that their families would survive the purge.

Heavy footsteps on the wooden flooring above us could be heard; shaking the light that hung from the ceiling as the stranger walked across. We were hid under the tavern. The building had once been built with the purpose of being a safe haven and a hideout, if the monsters ever found our village. Over the decades the building had lost it's purpose as the threat of an invasion became long forgotten. The building had become a tavern for the people of the village to drink away their fears and escape the harsh reality of humanity.

I held onto the youngest child, my hand pressed against the child's mouth in order to stop the child's cries. I knew we would be safe as long as the children kept their fear concealed and stayed behind the defences which had been build by my grandfather many years before.

The village had gone almost fifty years without being discovered, but I had messed everything the moment I had decided to run into the village, scarcely stopping to think about the monster that I had encountered.

Two mornings before the attack, I had woken up, much like I always did. A sense of dread filled me as I remembered I had school. I had paced around the small room (which I unfortunately shared with my brother) in the hopes that I would find something to wear. All my clothes were far too big on me and I found myself constantly drowning in fabrics that I was sure no longer existed. I looked at my distorted reflection that appeared in the broken mirror. I had always thought I was ordinary looking and my looks were never what won people over (or maybe it was my personality that chased people away.) My hair was dark, not quite black though but close in colour. My eyes were honey brown, and when one went close enough, it appeared as if flames were dancing in my eyes.

School was never something that I enjoyed. I loved learning but school had alwas seemed so fake and soulcrushing. I grew up listening to stories of monsters and battles that were won by my anscestors. Before we ever learnt anything, the laws of the village were drilled into our minds followed by the laws which the monsters lived by. We were indoctrinated with so much fear, that it never occurred to anyone that laws were meant to be broken.

My brother had called me out of my daydream " Eli" was all that he had said. He was a man of few words and often only said my name; but even that was enough for me to understand what he was asking.
I ate a slice of toast and rushed off with my brother. Taekwoon was much like myself in appearance and he was feared just as much, if not more. Taekwoon was quiet and many of the villagers stayed away from him. Despite their fear, they trusted him with their lives. It was because of his personality that he was given the name Leo by the people of the village.

School was much like it was any other day, until fourth lesson. The pupils of the school ( all 12 of us) were escorted outside of the wooden log cabin, that was our school. We grabbed our bags with no idea what was expected of us and we blindly followed our teacher. Mr Kim was much better than our other teachers but still just as boring. We made our way through the village and stood in front of the large iron gate. The gate that seperated the village from the outside where the monsters roamed. We were finally old enough to see the outside as was the custom for every child who was in their final year.

The gate was opened and we exited the town; we crawled through the tunnel and found ourselves in an old abandoned apartment. I had never seen a building so massive and by the looks of it, I was not the only person who was impressed by the creation of our ancestors.

We explored the ruins of a once great and majestic city, keeping close to one another at all times. The military officials almost surrounded us in case there was a sighting of a monster. I was not stupid, I knew that the field trip was another way to strike fear into the hearts of the youth. The education system did this so that no one else would end up like my father.

We passed by streams of murky water and grass that was not at all as soft as I had always been told. I had stuck with Leo for the most part, after all he was the only one who really knew what the outside was like.

The outside was not at all as amazing as my grandmother's books had depicted. I suspected that they had only showed the terrifying and decaying part of the world. I wandered off, curious to know where the streams went to. That was my first mistake; I had forgotten that if I was left behind I risked the chance of getting lost and being captured.

I carried on walking slowly at my own pace, taking in every object and breathing in the fresh air and then I heard something and I stopped. I stood there for a few minutes, taking in my surroundings and then I felt something grab my arm.

I turned around, expecting to see Leo. I prepared myself for a scolding that never came. I found myself looking at the most beautiful person I had ever seen. He was the most beautiful until I had glanced at his eyes. They were brighter than any blue I had ever seen and that meant one thing. He was a monster and worse he was at top of the monster hierarchy.
The monsters resembled ordinary people and if it were not for their eyes then nobody would be able to tell the difference. Their eyes were brighter than any human's and their eyes told their different ranks. There was brown which was the lowest rank, followed by red, followed by green and lastly blue. Monsters with blue eyes were rare and as far as I knew they never left their houses. They left the hunting to their servants who were much lower than them in the hierarchy. He was there though, standing in front of me with his icy blue eyes clearly visible. His eyes that seemed to see my very soul.

I knew I should have been afraid but I wasn't because dying was not one of my fears, being trapped was. Living in the village I had been trapped my whole life. Although I wasn't afraid of dying, I was afraid of leaving Leo behind.

The monster stared at me for a while as if he was shocked. He growled "Why aren't you afraid of me?"

I nervously answered his question "Because there are far worse things to fear than monsters such as yourself."

He looked at me a look of pure hatred on his face. It was obvious that he hated humans and yet that did not bother me because the feeling was mutual. He continued to stare at me, hunger evident as his ribs seemed to stick out.

I questioned "Well aren't you going to eat me, devour me or what ever it is you monsters do."

He stared at me and rolled his eyes before replying " Humans really do know nothing about us. We don't eat and we certainly do not devour humans." With a smirk he stated "You are much too plain to be devoured. You don't smell like you would taste any good."

As if he was trying to figure out my darkest secrets he glared at me and then he let go of me. He sighed "Go home and keep yourself safe."

It was my turn to look at him as if he was crazy. "what?" I asked bewildered.

He rolled his eyes and said "Go home
now before I change my mind, I'm so hungry I might just settle for scraps."

I pretended not to be offended by his remark. I nodded and said "Thank you." Before turning around and running home. That was my second mistake.

AN
Hey ☺ this is the author, and i would really like some feedback. This is an old fanfic that I had started on my old account and kinda forgot about over the years but I decided to rewrite it

Please comment and vote as it helps me to be motivated 😂