Chapter 42

Taehyung watched as the wax dripped down the side of the candles as it coated the wooden table with drips of white. He sighed, placing his index finger under the candles as he caught the drop of wax, wincing slightly as it burnt his finger.

The clock struck as the wax continued to drip. Taehyung moved his hand, angered by how everything seemed to be taunting him and reminding him that Eli had little time left. He rested his head upon his hands as he watched the flames.

The door opened and he shook his head, knowing who stood behind him by the sound of the light footsteps. It had taken him days to speak to Jin but as much as he loathed the noble, he knew that the Jin was his only hope.

"Taehyung." Jin greeted with a nod of his head as he dropped his suitcase on the floor.

"Is she okay?" Taehyung asked in fear.

"No." Jin muttered, riddled with guilt at the sight of the man who he had once envied. Taehyung sat on the wooden table, scolding his skin with flames but it was his bloodshot eyes and clawed at face that made him such a sorry sight.

"Then you can leave." Taehyung hissed as he ran his palm over the flame, watching how it licked at his skin just like it had done to Eli when she had hit the wall many days ago.

Jin turned to leave, hesitantly stumbling as he made his way to the door. He called out regretfully as he stopped to meet Taehyung's pitiful eyes. "If I had known he would have hurt her, I would never have let him know that she was there."

"You saw the rage in his eyes and you left without thinking of her." Taehyung spoke with hatred but he had no will to raise his voice.

"I left because I felt guilty." Jin pleaded as he stood before Taehyung.

"You always seemed so perfect but you collect souls like they are ornaments." Taehyung glared at Jin's regretful appearance "You deserve every bit of guilt that tormented you and more."

"You don't know my reason for collecting souls." Jin growled

"I can't imagine it's a good one." Taehyung scoffed before he dropped his hand from the candle and lifted up a glass with a clear liquid which he downed as if it would take away his sorrows.

"You are not the only one who has suffered in this life." Jin blew out the candle, disgusted by how Taehyung sat in self pity burning himself out of self-hatred.

"I cannot imagine you suffered all that much." Taehyung muttered as he dropped the glass to the table, watching as it spilled over.

"None of those souls were ones which I took," he spat "they were souls which my father stole and souls which I had hoped to return to their buried or burned bodies."

"I will not believe your lies; not while I know that you betrayed Eli." Taehyung folded his arms as he stood up, stumbling as his weak body hit the floor. It had been days since he had eaten and if it weren't for Leo forcing food down his throat, he would have been far worse.