8

Serenity 🌸

" Jesus why can't I get it right!" I groan out loud. I replay the video from the beginning and start to dance. I follow every exact move that the girl on the flatscreen is doing.  I need some new moves to work on. On the last move, I trip over my foot and land on my ass.

" FUCK MAN!" I yell.

My anger today is higher than normal and I refuse to think about why it is. I just don't understand what he sees in her. We literally have the same face. I grab my things and turn off the t.v. I make sure the dance studio is clean before i head out the door. Florida's dance studios are so nicely put together, I wouldn't dare leave trash or anything.

I pull out my phone and dial a very familiar number. It rings three times and then she picks up. She says hello repeatedly but it feels like my mouth is closed shut. Like I'm afraid to speak to her or something.

" Its umm... It's Serenity.." I manage to get out.

" Yes I know. Is everything okay? Do I need to come over?" She says. I hear things begin to shuffle and then a pair of keys jingle.

" No ma'm no ma'm I'm actually out of town in Orlando Florida. ' I quickly say, hoping to change her mind. The last thing I want is for April to have unexpected visitors she hates that.

" Oh okay baby don't scare me like that." She relaxes then laughs.

" Uh yeah. But I wanted to know if you can do me a favor..."

" what's that?"

" I know I'm not supposed to ask you about files but with you being my social worker and all... " My voice was uneasy.

There was a pause on the other line, " Listen serenity I could be in big trouble if I do anything with the files that are kept on your family. Im not supposed to let you have them till your 18..."

" But pleaaaaase please I need just one thing for you to check. You don't have to let me have them, but could you just check for me." I try and persuade her. The busy streets of Florida filled my vision as I begin to walk. Cars speeding down the road, kids giggling and laughing on the other side of the sidewalk, and the restaurant smells are so divine.

" Look... Is it really that important." She says.

" Yes... It's just... Yes yes it is." I reply.

" Okay.. What is it. I've only got a few more minutes until my boss checks in on me."

" So um...i don't know how to word this but... Was there another baby that my mom had. Possibly a twin of mine? Is it on her records?" She says.

" Okay baby let me check." I hear typing in the background of the call. I hope it's true. I hope that I'm right.

" Serenity you there?" She asks.

" Yes yes I am was I right?" My emotions were high. I don't know whether to feel happy, sad, or mad.

" Sorry baby... Your mom only had you and April.." She sighs.

I stop dead in my tracks. This can't be true. She has to have had twins. There is no scientific way that someone can look just like you. Hell you might not even supposed to meet them, ever.