The Eagle

Summary: Luke was a recruit under Sergeant Irwin's care. Luke has heard stories about The Eagle and he was initially afraid of starting his national service, until he recognised The Eagle differently from the stories in the word of mouth.

◸ ⊹ ∗ ⌑ ╳ ⌑ ∗ ⊹ ◿

"I mean, if you do see The Eagle, then you can consider yourself lucky!" Ben exclaimed, earning a laughter from Jack.

"Yeah, kid. No one has seen The Eagle in years. Maybe she's not even around anymore," Jack added.

"Okay, alright, thank you so very much, guys. You totally made me feel a whole lot better!"

"Awww, cheer up, Lukey-boy! Service ain't that bad, after all," Jack failed to stifle his chuckles, "...that is, if you get laid right!"

Ben and Jack broke into massive laughter once more. Luke knew what he was in for for having brothers like Ben and Jack. Their parents hushed them all up before saying their last goodbyes to Luke for his departure for national service. To be blatantly honest, Luke was not at all afraid of the torture, marching, field camps and whatnots. It bothered him but he was not trembling in fear at the thought of it like how his brothers (and his jerk of a cousin) thought that he would. In fact, physical development and training were the least of his concerns. Ben's words lingered and rang at the back of his mind while he walked into the compound: "If you do see The Eagle, then you can consider yourself lucky!"

Luke had heard countless stories of The Eagle. He even came across some very detailed ones online, on the unofficial national service portal. Those stories varied in many areas however, the one factor that categorised them all together besides The Eagle was sex. Here was how a typical: The Eagle Sex Story went:

There was only one of it in the existence of the department but recruits would recognise and be able to identify The Eagle when they see it. It was not its beak nor its feathers. It was not its cries nor its pride. The Eagle was a symbol more than it was even alive. The only time that recruits could witness The Eagle was when The Eagle fulfilled orders by them. The Eagle liked to be grounded more than it liked flying. The Eagle was often chained or suspended. Last but not least, The Eagle was said to be a work of art.

Any man would appreciate The Eagle whether or not they wanted to admit it. Although the online stories about The Eagle was last updated a week ago, Luke was told by his brothers that even when they were serving their years in the nation, there was no sign of The Eagle. Even long before Ben's time, old posts on the portal showed unsatisfied recruits over never knowing The Eagle. It made Luke wonder, of course, that maybe the whole story was never true at all. Perhaps, The Eagle was just a tale that the power ranked men told their fresh-out-of-the-oven recruits to ease the chaotic rushing blood that tensed them on their first day. At the same time, Luke remembered seeing a post on the portal that said: "The harder you try to find it, the more it'll hide." When he first read it a few days back, he did not have much thought on it despite it being submitted on a forum that was clearly titled "The Eagle". As he stood there in the empty hall, he devised a plan — a plan to prove his brothers wrong and a plan to live on top of surviving his service days.

Everyone knew of The Eagle. Soon, it became like a fairytale that Sergeant Majors tell their recruits, that Reservists tell their children. Everyone spoke of it like they have encountered The Eagle themselves — each with their own version of the same story. Somehow, Luke just had a gut feeling that not everyone actually knows what they were boasting about. Somehow, Luke trusted his gut feeling.