Chapter 1

Adeline's P.O.V-

I walk into work, five minutes early as usual. I smile at Layla and Mark, the owners who are baking pastries in the back. I head to the employees lounge and grab my apron while tucking my backpack away. I have never owned a purse and probably never will, those things are completely impractical. Walking back to the front of the cafe, I turn the sign to open and head to our coffee machines to prepare a fresh batch of our most popular dark roast.

The day goes on and rush hour soon ends. I pull out my phone and sit down on one of the stools behind the counter, I look at round trip flights to Italy hoping that if I make enough I can go for a week in the summer. I check my emails to see if I have gotten any responses to the companies where I sent my resumes and nothing. I put down my phone and lightly frown.

"What's got you so down?" A man sipping his coffee asks me. I recognize him as one of our regulars.

"I am just not having the best luck finding a job." I answer truthfully.

"Well what kind of job are you looking for?" He asks.

"I truly don't wanna bore you with my problems sir." I say.

"Look my name is Carlos Blake and I am actually looking for someone. You see my best friend is the CEO of Vivian Enterprises and he is in serious need of an assistant. Our other friend is helping him out and the poor guy is in need of someones help." He says while chuckling.

"I have a degree in business and design, but I doubt that I'm cut out for this kind of job. I mean I haven't had any experience, I don't think I would live up to the expectations of a CEO." I say, my eyes widening in surprise.

"Nonsense. I come here all the time and I have got to say you are an insanely talented woman. You deal with arrogant customers with a smile on your face and you are sure to kill out the rush easily." He says.

"Thank you." I respond blushing slightly.

"I'm just being honest so.." He looks up at me reading my nameplate.

"Adeline, nice name. Can I set up an interview for you?" He asks.

"It truly is a nice offer but I dont think I'm cut out for that kind of job." I say.

"Look in all honesty my best friend is a hard guy to work with and I am sure that you are one of the few people that can handle him." He says.

"Just go in for an interview, then it's all your choice." He ends.

"Thank you. I guess I will go for an interview." I say

He writes down my contact info and gives me the card for Vivian Enterprises. "You are a life saver Adeline. Truly I'm sure you'll get the job."

I smile at his support. He finishes his coffee and leaves behind a $50 dollar tip for me. Wow, a $50 dollar tip on a two dollar coffee. His friend really needs an assistant, but he's a CEO aren't there hundreds of people applying for the position.

Time flies by and it's now 6 pm which means my shift is over. I head to the back and put my apron away while wishing Mark and Layla a good evening. I grab my bag and head out of the coffee house and start my short walk home.

Halfway there I see a little boy sitting on the sidewalk, crying.

"Hey there buddy. What's wrong?" I ask him, concern lacing my vision.

"I got an owwiee." He sniffles and whines out while pointing to his elbow that has a small cut.

"I think I got just the thing." I say as I pull out a band aid and water bottle from my bag.

"This is gonna sting a little." I say, he nods.

I lightly put some water on his wound and dab it using a tissue, making sure the wound doesn't get infected. Then I put on the band aid and kiss his elbow.

"All better?'' I ask.

"All better, thank you." He says as he wraps me in a bear hug.

"Where are your parents?" I ask.

"Oh my mom is just getting her purse." He says.

I nod and pass him a lollipop that I had in my bag. His eyes largen in excitement and he pecks my cheek.

"Thank you thank you thank you." He repeats while shoving the lollipop in his mouth.

I laugh and smile at him as I wait for his mother to return. She shortly returns and walks our way.

"Mommy look the nice pretty lady helped me and gave me a lollipop." He says while pointing at his elbow.

"Oh my. Thank you so much." She says while looking at me in gratitude.

"Not a problem, have a goodnight." I say and turn around.

"Wait" She says.

I look back and she continues "How can I pay you back?" she says while pulling out her wallet.

"Oh please you dont have to. Isn't it our job as humans to help each other out" I say

She nods and smiles towards me. I smile back and give the little boy a high five as he giggles. I start to walk back as I notice a small limousine drive by. I arrive home and hop into the shower which I always take freezing cold.

I order a pizza for Willow and I, knowing she'll be home soon too. I place the order for delivery and head to my room and pull out my laptop. Out of serious curiosity I search up Vivian Enterprises and am shocked by what shows up.

Vivian Enterprises is a multi-million dollar company now run by Roman Cole Darren the arrogant bachelor who's assistants don't last longer than a month.....

I am surprised by what I read and a little nervous. Why did Carlos think I was fit for this job? Is he that bad? Will he hire me? I continue to research the company and soon learn about how cold the CEO really is, but the company is amazing. They have reached far heights in just a few years, its a family business and Dylan Darren named the company after his wife. Awh...

Willow arrives home just in time as the pizza arrives second later. I tell her all about my hectic day and she is completely shocked and excited for me. But me, I am very nervous.