Chapter 9

Adeline's P.O.V

I sat on the bench outside the hotel. I read the presentation thoroughly, memorizing it so I will be able to inform any investors about the company. I rise and decide that I should probably get into the room and set up. I check my phone and the time reads 5:30. 

I start walking back until his gaze catches mine. 

My boss...

He and I stare at each other for a lot longer than we should. I avert my gaze as I feel blood rush to my cheeks. I look up and see him still so focused on me.

Strange, I think.

I send him a small smile as I walk into the conference room. I go in and connect the company laptop to the projector. I wait for the screen to pop up only to realize that the projector is lopsided and displaying the image off key. 

I pull open the top of the projector and bend down so I can fix the display. I work on it for a few minutes until it's done. I feel a presence in the room, I turn around to see Mr Darren...

"Good Morning Mr Darren. The projector was broken so I just adjusted the display." I explain to him.

He looks at me inquisitively, "How do you know how to fix a projector Ms Jules?" He asks.

Surprised by his question, I begin to ramble. "Well my brother and I used to fix cars at an old mechanic shop so I guess I picked up some techniques. Although-" I cut myself off.

He nods his head and sits down by the computer.

I set up the boards and put the graphs on the stands. While doing so I continue to feel his gaze on my back. I try to ignore it but it feels as though he'll burn a hole through my head. I put up the last stand.  

I turn around to see him right behind me, I bump into him and am about to trip but his strong grip keeps me in place. I suck in a breath...

He tilts his head looking my face up and down slowly and it feels as though his gaze spends more time looking at my lips.

"Mr Darren." I whisper.

He snaps out of his daze and lets me go. After adjusting his suit he goes back and sits down at his side of the desk. He opens up his laptop and starts typing furiously. I set up the desks by placing a water bottle and a company pamphlet in front of each seat. I place a bottle of water by Mr Darren, his eyes glued to the screen.

"Excuse me" I hear. 

I look up to see a man who looks to be in his late 20's- early 30's. 

"Sorry to bother you but we needed to get some information filled out by Mr Darren." He says as he walks forward, holding my gaze.

Mr Darren stands up and goes towards him, taking the file, and starts writing.

"I'm Josh by the way." He says as he hold out his hand to shake.

"Adeline" I say as I return his shake.

He smiles in my direction and I let go of his hand. I head back over to my seat and pull out my itinerary. Mr Darren finishes the file and hands it to him roughly. Josh sends me a wave on his way out. He goes back to his seat and sits down all grumpy.

"Are you okay sir?'' I ask.

"I'm fine." He responds through his teeth.

Deciding not to push it I get up from my seat and decide on getting a cup of coffee.

"I'm going to grab a cup of coffee, would you like something?" I ask him.

"Coffee, black" He responds.

Used to his bitter attitude I nod my head in response and head out of the room and go to the hotel cafe to grab the drinks. 

I walk back into the room to see a young woman wearing a tight, short, strapless dress touching Mr Darren's shoulder. Sitting in his seat is an older woman wearing a beautiful white dress, she seems to be disgusted.

"Here's your coffee sir." I say.

All three heads turn towards me. The woman who was wearing the tight black dress smiles, "oh goody the maid is here." She says as she comes and grabs both cups of coffee from my hands. Taking one for herself (which is mine) and giving Mr Darren the other one.

"That's my assistant Destiny and you're drinking her coffee." Mr Darren says to the girl who is named Destiny.

"It's fine she can get another one." Destiny says. Oh this must be one of his flings.

I turn to the woman who is sitting on the seat with the disgusted expressions and I smile at her, "would you like anything to drink madam?" I ask her.

She looks at me with a soft kind smile. "A herbal tea would be great. Thank you young lady." She says gently. I nod in response.

I get another coffee and a tea for the woman.

I come back and hand her the tea and she smiles and whispers a thank you. She holds her head as she sips the tea.

"Are you okay madam?" I ask her concerned.

"Oh I'm okay, being around Rome's bimbos just tires me out." She says.

I hold back a laugh, she looks up at me and smiles.

"I'm Vivian by the way, his mother." She says pointing at the "couple" in the hallway. Destiny is talking and Mr Darren is on his phone.

"Oh it's nice to meet you Mrs Darren. I'm Adeline his assistant." I say with a smile.

"Please call me Vivian. I have to say Adeline I'm shocked that a girl like you works for my son. In a good way though. You're well behaved, kind, beautiful and mature. Normally the girls are rude, stupid and dress in clothes three sizes to small." She says as she points to Destiny.

"You don't sound very enthusiastic about her." I say.

She rolls her eyes, "I just want my son to be with a real woman, not some bimbo." She says and lets out a laugh.

"But truly how are you dealing with my son, he is a nightmare to work with." She says.

"He isn't bad I mean sure he can be rude and arrogant but at the end of the day he does it for the company." I say.

She smiles at me with a radiant glint in her eyes.

"I like you Adeline, very much." She says and I blush. Looking at my interlocked hands in my lap.

Thank you all so much for 1k reads. Let me know how you like the story so far. Who's your favorite character? Who are you interested in seeing more of?