Chapter 8

Roman's P.O.V

Tip, tap, tip, tap, tip, tap, tip, tap

The rain has formed a rhythm against the window of my bedroom. There was lightning too, I could hear it's loud rumbling against the ground. They both sung out loudly, the wind that surrounds them was moving at a fast pace, I felt it against my skin.

I carefully walked around my room until I reached the window, careful to avoid any furniture around me. I touched what I felt was like a window sill, I raised my hand higher until it lays upon the handle. I pulled it down and the window shut. The sound of rain was still there, but faded. Like a memory that cracks against your skull begging to enter. I huffed and felt for my bed. I lay'd down and heard the faint noise, but all of a sudden the darkness I saw disappeared...

I saw her. 

Adeline. 

Her smile as she spoke to the young boy on the street. 

The sound of the rain had stopped and all I heard was her laugh, it sounded like music to my ears. Her eyes were shining, her skin seemed so radiant and soft to touch.

I abruptly woke from the dream. What was that? My mind was racing as I realized it was a memory from my past. But....

Why was she there?

Why did all the darkness clear when her face appeared?

Why is she affecting me like this?

How did she take away all the darkness with her smile?

My mind raced with questions, my heart pounded in my chest. I rolled over to check the time. It was 3:15 am, Monday morning. I had my conference today. I turned to see Destiny scattered there. Her body bare and her face caked with makeup. She looked revolting.

I got up and put on my clothing from last night. I left her apartment, memories of being at a bar last night reminding me of why I was at her place in the first place. 

After today's conference I need to drop her, look for a better distraction. She is of no use. Women like her are only good for one night. I decide to head back to mine.

The drive there was just as irritating as that dream. Her smile clouded my vision, her laugh ringed in my ears, my hands twitched- yearning to touch her soft skin and my heart continued to prance. My mind shouted, screamed, yelled at my heart to stop.

She's just like the rest Rome

Man-up Rome, you don't care for her

She is just some girl.

It called to my heart. Repeated hateful words like a mantra in my head, but my heart... it won't listen. It seems lost in her thoughts. The way her body was hugged in that pencil skirt, how no one could resist smiling back to her and her adorable glasses that made her face seem longer. She chewed a pen as she worked or how she hummed so beautifully, when she spoke, words fell of her tongue so perfectly. Her words are so beautifully hers.

I ran into my place and headed to take a cold shower. I place my palms against the tiled wall.

Focus Rome.

You have to be on your A game today.

You will not fail.

Win the investments.

Get the Contracts.

Gaze into Adaline's big chocolate brown eyes.... wait what?

No no no Rome. You do not care about her. She is just some girl. Fire her. But her work is so perfect, so is she. What a girl....

No no no.

I slammed my hand against the tiled wall. I was done. The time was nearing 5 am. I got dressed and head to my office to pick up the needed files for today. I rushed in and out of the building. Shaking my head as I see the security guard asleep. 

I arrive at the Conference Hall and realize that there is no one there but the employees who are setting up the rooms. I decide to grab some breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. I sit by the window with an omelette and a cup of coffee black. I eat my breakfast silently as my thoughts are kept haunted by my dream. I look outside to see a girl working away at her laptop. only her eyes are visible. She seems to be intently reading something. 

Her petite hands rush through her small grey backpack. She pulls out a pair of black framed glasses and my head does a double take. I look at her again, my mind knowing exactly who it was.

Those eyes....

Those glasses...

They have haunted me all night and I don't need to second guess the assumption that they belong to her. 

Adeline.

She shuts her laptop and stands up. I suck in a breath at her appearance. Her hair is straightened; it falls down her back. She is wearing a pair of thigh hugging black trousers with a red fitted top that has a V on both sides. She pulls the glasses to the top of her head and smiles. She packs her supplies and pulls out her conference pass. She checks her phone and begins to head indoors.

Her eyes lock with mine and she freezes. I let out a shaky breath.

I dont know for how long we both just gazed into each others eyes. 

Too soon she averted her eyes and sent me a small smile as she quickly walked back inside. She almost seemed ashamed as she hung her head low.

I got up and headed towards our conference room. I was stopped by the hotel manager. She is a woman in her late 50's. She clearly smoked and was wearing a dress too tight for her body as the seams were clearly ripping. Her face was caked with makeup and she looked me up and down like a cougar. She kept rambling about how amazing I was. I forced out a thanks and walked by her to the conference room, Adeline's there.... said the voice inside my head.

Adeline's there.