Chapter 13: An Unexpected Surprise

It was a warm Monday morning in the middle of the summer holidays. All was quiet at the Burrow. The Weasley's were asleep and all that could be heard was the sound of their owl, Errol hooting. He was trying to alert the Weasley's that their mail had arrived. Molly or Mrs Weasley to you, was the first to wake. She came down the dwindling stairs and into the kitchen to make breakfast for her 'large' family.

When she spotted an exhausted Errol, she ran over to him and collected the mail. In her hands now were five Hogwarts letters, two were slightly thicker than normal and she wondered why. Mrs Weasley laid the letters on the table, then went to cook breakfast. Bacon, Eggs and Croissants. Everyone's favourite.

Fifteen minutes later, the rest of the Weasley clan came down for breakfast. Arthur or Mr Weasley had already left to go to work. Percy was the first to see the Hogwarts letters on the table, he quickly picked up his own then passed the rest to his siblings eager to open the letter, as like Molly he noticed that his was slightly thicker normal.

Percy ripped open the letter and a badge dropped out. He stared at it, why did he need another perfect badge. Then he looked at it more closely and realised that it didn't say Prefect, but Head Boy instead. He threw his hands up in the air and yelled,

"I'M HEAD BOY!!!"

Molly rushed over to him, and gave him a big, bone-crushing hug.

"I'm so proud of you, that's the third head boy in the family!"

"Thanks Mum," Prcy said blushing, "B-but I kind of need to breathe you know."

"Oh Sorry," Molly said letting go and stepping back awkwardly. Meanwhile on the other side of the room Ginny was standing leaning on the chair staring at her letter. Half of her wanted to be happy at what the letter said but the other half was in pure shock.

"What's wrong Ginny?" Molly asked.

"I'll read it out," Ginny replied.

"Ok, go on then." Ron now said, curious.

"Dear Miss Weasley," Ginny began to read.
"Your exam results for the past year have been exemplary, quite stunning if I do say so myself. Quite advanced for a first year. That is why I am pleased to inform you that as of the first of September, you will now be a third year instead of a second year. Your spell work is rather phenomenal and your hexes, where do I start on them (Yes Miss Weasley, nothing fails to pass me). I understand that this may be something quite hard to take in and therefore if you have any questions about this change please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind Regards,
Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry,
Professor Dumbledore"

Ginny looked up, Molly was beaming with joy, while Percy was shuffling around annoyed and Ron was giving her the death stare.

"I so proud of you Ginny! You must be the first person ever to be moved up a year at Hogwarts." Molly screamed and engulfed her daughter in yet another bone crushing hug.

"Mum, I need to breathe or I won't even be attending Hogwarts."

Ron kept on staring, you could see he was not happy with the recent change of events. It meant that Ginny would now be in the same year, much to his displeasure. He couldn't wait to tell Harry though. He would be overjoyed. Ron then gave his congratulations to Ginny then went up stairs to owl Harry the news.

Percy was also not happy about Ginny's letter, of course he didn't show it. Someone in their family had finally achieved more than him and it was his little sister. He quickly congratulated her as well then went back upstairs to his room. He had spent much of the summer in there, for had a girlfriend who was keen to hear all his happenings.

Meanwhile up a few flights of stairs in Ron's room, Ron was writing his letter to Harry.

Dear Harry, he wrote down on the nearest piece of parchment.

You will not guess the news that we received this morning when we got our Hogwarts letters. Your probably thinking, 'Ron I know, we can now go to Hogsmeade'. Yes that's great news but this is even better. Wait for it...

Ginny's skipping a year, and now she is in our year. Therefore making her in all of our classes, hopefully. You're probably squealing like a girl now I know.

Anyway owl me back as soon as possible, also have you heard from Hermione recently, she hasn't returned any of my owls.

See ya, in just over 2 weeks,
Ron

Ron folded up the letter and put it in an envelope. He then gave it to his owl that he had recieved from the Potter's for his birthday, and it took off with the letter for Harry.

A few hours later, his owl arrived back at his window, with what appeared to be a reply. Ron ripped open the letter and read.

ARE YOU SIRIUS RON! OR IS THIS JUST ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR PRANKS. It better not be cause your going to get it when we get back to school. And yes I did squeal like a girl and it was a little embarrassing because Sirius was in the room and you know how he is.
Anyway can't wait to see you again also, and no I have not received anything from Hermione, though I think I remember her saying something about a ski trip. Whatever that is.

Harry

Ron laughed at the gidiness of his friend. Harry could be hilarious at times. He was then called down for dinner where they discussed Ginny's letter with the whole family. Ginny was beaming, while all her older brothers complimented her.

"You really do deserve it Gin," Bill said. "I've heard alot from Ron about how nasty your bat bogey curse is."

The meal was overall enjoyable for everyone including Percy. With all the compliments though Ginny was still slightly depressed that the year she would be moving into was the one that a certain Arrogant Potter was in, she couldn't let this get to her though. There were good things too. She would have Hermione.