Chapter 21: Broomsticks and Roses

MARCH 10 1997, POTIONS

The day had finally arrived, the day we would find out if we had completed all our steps correctly. We would finally complete our major project for the year Amortentia. Sadly I wasn't as enthused as I should be, I was given the task of working with Harry. You could say that we were pretty good friends now but at the start, it was a bit bumpy. We fought and most of the lessons we would just sit and ignore each other. It was pretty awkward. Not so much anymore though.

Harry, Ron, Hermione and I walked into the Potions classroom. We were greeted by Proffesor Willowby and the fresh scent of potions. Oh how I loved Potions, sometimes. We eached sat down at our cauldrons straight away and started work on finishing the potion. Harry and I only had three steps to go, I couldn't wait to see what our potion would smell like. I was always confused by what attracted me most.

"I bet it'll smell like the Quidditch pitch," Harry said with one step to go.

"I hope it does, I love the smell of the grass and the wooden broomsticks. Especially on wet days."

We added the last ingredient and stirred the potion until it became it's distinct 'Mother of Pearl' Sheen. We had done it perfectly. Proffesor Willowby came over to the table to congratulate us and examine the potion.

"This is indeed perfect. Now take a whiff, what do you smell."

I breathed in a large whiff of the potion, it smelt heavenly. Wet grass, broomstick handles, my Rose perfume and a familiar smell that I couldn't quite pin-point. I turned to Harry.

"So what do you smell?" I asked

"My broomstick, Treacle Pie, the broom cupboard and something else. I don't no what it is but it smells familiar. It's something sweet smelling. What about you?"

"I smell wet grass, chocolate, my rose perfume and also something else, but I don't know what it is. It smells, fresh almost like conditioner but it's not my conditioner."

"I guess we both smell something strange. Mine actually smells a bit like a rose perfume, now that I think about it. Although I don't own any because last time I checked I was a guy." I giggled at this, he could be hilarious at times.

Hermione's POV
"Ron, do you hear what Harry and Ginny are saying about their potion."

"No, why Mione?"

"Well, Harry just said that his potion smelt of 'rose perfume' and Ginny said that her potion smelt like this conditioner that wasn't her's."

"And? Your point Hermione?"

"Well, Harry is known, well at least by us for using way to much conditioner. And well Ginny she uses the same Rose perfume everyday."

"You don't think."

"I DO think Ronald. Harry has liked Ginny since forever and Ginny, well I think she may have a thing for him. She may not admit it but she isn't denying it anymore."

"Should we tell them?"

"Nah, let's let them work it out on there own, it's a good show."

"Good idea."

Harry's POV

Rose perfume. Wait, Hang on, Ginny uses Rose perfume. It must be it, there would be know other explanation. I desire Ginny the most and I can't deny it. I'm not going to tell her though she will FREAK. Although then again she didn't freak out about out patronuses. Maybe she does like me.

No Harry, don't give yourself false hope. She would rather date the Giant squid than me. A lazy, Arrogant, Toe-rag.

Ginny's POV

I had given up on working out why I smelled some conditioner, I was really confused. I was writing my observations down when I dropped my quill on the floor next to Harry. We both leaned down to picked it up and there it was. That smell.

OH NO. I smell Harry in my amortentia, I guess I can no longer deny to myself that I don't like him even the tiniest little bit. I eventually got my pen back and Harry and I stared at each other. Oh, dam. Had he worked out that it was his conditioner I smelt. I hope not. I can't let him no that.

Harry and I ignored each other for the rest of the lesson. The bell finallt rang and we left our awkward state and went our seperate ways, even though we probably still would end up in the same place.

I met up with Hermione.

"So, what did you smell in the Amortentia" She asked. " I smelt Ron's hair gel."

"Aww... thats so sweet Hermione." I smiled genuingly. Then I frowned. "I smelt Potter." I looked down at the ground quickly so she wouldn't see me blush.

"I knew it, I KNEW IT!!" She screamed.

"Hermione, keep it down. We don't need the whole castle knowing about this."

"Well they should. You two are perfect for each other."

"He's over me now. I'm not going to bother. Anyway school romance's never work out in the end."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that, but I guess it's your life."

With that Hermione and I made our way to the great hall for lunch. Harry and Ron were not there.