Chapter one

Maya had been so happy with her life lately. She had the perfect family now, with great best friends and what she thought was a prefect boyfriend. Lucas had come up from Texas to see her for the weekend. They had been together for two years before they made the decision to go to seperate colleges. It was hard but they made it work. Late night talks, FaceTiming and the occasional visits. Maya had a Friday afternoon class so Riley had offered to pick Lucas up from the airport.

Riley had been really supportive of their relationship. Riley hadn't been in a relationship for about 18 months. Her last boyfriend had cheated on her that left her devastated. Since then she had become closer friends with Lucas. Little did Maya know they had become a lot more than that.

Maya was sitting in her lecture and could hardly concentrate. It wasn't long until she would be able to see her boyfriend again. Maya had never been in love. Her family life hadn't been the best but she was lucky to have her mom and Shawn. She had finished class 20 minutes early and decided to walk back. The door to the room was locked. They never locked it. Maya went to grab her keys out of her bag when she heard moaning coming from the room. Not thinking she began to turn the door. What she heard and saw next was going to break her.

Maya walked in to see her best friend and boyfriend in bed together. Neither of them noticed her so she quickly closed the door and ran out. How could she had been so blind. Maya still not sure how long it had been happening for. Her suspicions now were a lot longer than just that after. The nights where Riley would be up giggling at her phone receiving texts, the calls she would take outside, the lack of wanting to go out. All of it was Rileys way of talking to Lucas. Lucas never wanted Maya to go to Texas instead always coming to New York. He had always come in on a Friday afternoon when she was in class. All to spend time with Riley.

Maya was jumping to conclusions she knew at some point she had to talk to them especially since they didn't know she had caught them. Not watching where she was going due to the fact she was trying to hide her tear stained face. She ran straight into someone with all of her notes going everywhere. Maya didn't look up instead she began to pick up all of her stuff putting it in a pile. The person had put their hand out and she jumped up. Now looking at the guy in front of her it was Josh. The last person she wanted to see her like this. He was a typical Matthews always caring about people and of course he would want to make sure she was alright. He gave her a look.

"Hey Maya are you okay?"

"Um yeah Josh can I come to your apartment for a while I can't go back to my dorm"

"Sure is everything okay with Riley?"

"Oh she is just fine"

By the tone in her voice Josh knew it was best not to push Maya too much. They had known each other basically their whole lives. Josh had moved into an apartment at the start of the year he thought it would best to have his own space.

They had made there way back to his apartment and sat down. He had turned the tv on hoping to get rid of some of the awkward silence. Maya was never one to talk about her issues. Josh and Maya had become close over the years. Nothing more than friends. It had taken years for Maya to open up about her father. Showing emotions just weren't her thing. That's what made Josh more nervous about this whole situation. Maya had been crying, even when she spoke about her dad she didn't cry.

Josh had ordered pizza already knowing what she would want her ordered for Maya too. She kept looking over at him not knowing what to say. Her phone buzzed on the table and she tried to ignore it.

Lucas: Hey babe, where are you? Riley and I are waiting text me when you are close x

She stared and the screen and began to feel sick. 'Text me when you are close' basically code for me and Riley are having sex make sure you text me so we can clean up before you come back and I don't get caught. She had never understood people who cheat. If you aren't happy leave. You don't have to break someone's heart or ruin a friendship. Josh just stared at her not sure what to say. Maya passed the phone over to him and began crying.

Josh read the text message not sure why she was so upset. Lucas had come to visit her, she had been waiting weeks for this. He went closer to her though and tried to comfort her the best he could. Maya's breathing was all over the place, the tears were really coming now.

"Josh can I please stay here tonight?"

"Uh sure, Maya is everything okay"

"Lucas cheated"