09 » fog

.... { " The fog ate me and I thought I was dead, until I saw his face. " }

I kept running. I ran so far away from home that I ended up in a park located in the middle of town. I didn't know how I did it, I wasn't a big fan of athletics or sports. Once I reached the park my legs suddenly burned and they wobbled like jelly. I fell to the ground, resting on my knees that were now smudged with grass stains.

The sun was setting and a thin foggy mist swept over the area. The air was cool against my hot sweat and I breathed in all the fresh scents, clearing my mind. As it got darker I knew I should be leaving, but I just couldn't move. My legs were numb from running for so long and I was still heaving quick breaths.

I could call Amy, but I couldn't face her. I couldn't go back to that house.

I picked my phone out of my pocket and dialled the new contact on the device. I waited two rings before he answered. "I didn't expect a call from you so soon." He lightly teased and just hearing his voice helped ease the pain.

"I-I know-- I mean, I'm sorry." I stuttered and mentally cursed at myself. "Can you come to the park?"

I guess he knew something was wrong when I asked because he said quickly, "Sure, I'll be there in five minutes." then he immediately hung up.

I listened to the dial tone for a while, hoping to hear his voice again. He made me 'happy', he made me sort of smile, which was a good start. I forgot about mum and Amy every time I heard his voice. I shoved my phone back in my pocket and just sat on the grass as the fog began to swallow me. It had been four minutes, I counted, and I still couldn't see anything.

The fog ate me and I thought I was dead, until I saw his face. Chris emerged from the fog and walked over to me, worry filling his glowing eyes as he looked upon me. I still couldn't move, so he sat beside me. I could feel the heat radiate off his body and it made me feel warmer.

"Thanks for coming." I mumbled staring at the ground.

"Is everything okay?" He asked concerned.

His voice echoed through my body and suddenly, I could stand up. My body lifted itself up off the ground and I had no control. My feet dragged me away from him and they started to run. Chris called my name as I ran from him. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't tell him what happened, he would probably think I'm too messed up and he would leave me.

You always run away from everything, don't you? A voice in the back of my head spat, making my stomach churn.

My vision blurred as the fog was too thick and my foot caught on something. Slowly and ungracefully, I fell, my face smashing the ground, leaving all the air from my lungs to escape. I couldn't breathe as panic creeped inside of me and I burst out into tears, letting it all go. The pain inside me wouldn't stop flowing throughout and I cried harder.

Warm arms slipped around my waist, startling me, and I was lifted off the ground. Chris hugged me tightly and I sobbed into his hard shoulder, my tears wetting his shirt. Again, I had ruined his shirt. My arms clung on him, desperate to stay upright as my legs were wobbling violently.

"Please make it stop..." I whispered softly, unable to speak as sobs were stuck in my throat.

"Ember," he whispered back. I loved hearing my voice come out of his mouth, it made me shiver with something I couldn't put my finger on. "Come on, let's go back to my place and get you cleaned up."

He helped me walk back towards the park, his arm around my waist and mine around his shoulder. I had trouble walking and my steps were rigid, but I didn't mind. I had Chris to support me.