10 » things

... { " He was a different person when he told me these kinds of things. " }

It's been a week. A solid week being taught by Chris on how to be 'happy'. I must say, his lessons can be really cheesy, but they work. Something in me has changed. I'm smiling more, I'm not crying myself to sleep at night, and I'm even starting to talk to mum, even though all I say to her is a simple 'good morning.'

"Remember, everyday life gets better when you're surrounded by the people you love." Chris told me as we walked through an empty field. It was as if something took over him; he was a different person when he told me these kinds of things. I was beginning to think that maybe he had been through all of this before. Not being 'happy', I mean.

"Chris," I interrupted him.

"Hm?"

"Why are you helping me?"

My question caused him to stop and his hands briefly flew to the hospital tags that were wrapped around his wrist. "Ember...I need to tell you something-"

Suddenly, my phone rang. Chris let out a small huff and I gave him an apologetic smile before answering the call. "Hello?"

"Ember where the hell are you?!" My mum yelled and my whole body shook with anger.

"What do you mean where am I?" I asked, annoyed.

"You were supposed to come home hours ago!"

"I'm kinda in the middle of something."

"You're with that boy, aren't you?"

"Since when do you care about where I am or what I'm doing? I'm not a dog mum, so stop putting me on a tight leash all of a sudden." Without hearing what she had to say, I hung up and quickly turned off my phone so she wouldn't call me back.

"You know, you really need to set things right with your mum." Chris said as I turned to face him.

"Sorry you had to hear that." 

He waved his hands. "It's fine."

I smiled, relieved. "So what were you going to tell me?"

His bright eyes dulled for a moment and he paused, pressing his lips together. "I'll tell you later."

( Short and boring chapter, I know... Please forgive me? )