15 » together

• Dedicated to to all the voters, and all the fans

( This is not the end of the story, that will be the next couple of chapters because I've decided to extend it a little more )

... { " I just want us to be together and make this moment last. " }

We pulled up at the hospital, the tall white building staring back at me. It was the only thing standing between Chris and I. Without waiting for Amy I bolted inside. The lady at the front counter called me as soon as I entered and I walked towards her.

"How can I help you miss?" She asked kindly.

"I'm here to see Chris Miller." I said panting.

"Room one thirty nine."

"Thank you." I ran through the hallways, dodging other patients and nurses before climbing up a flight of stairs.

 Reaching the door, I gave a light knock before hearing what sounded like a grunt, before I opened the door. I entered the bright room to see Chris in the bed, wrapped in the thin sheets. As soon as his eyes found mine, they brightened with joy and dazzled underneath the lights. "You're here." He croaked, sounding tired.

I smiled and walked over to the bed before sitting beside him on the empty chair. "Of course I am, why wouldn't I be?"

"I thought you would still be in court."

My smile grew, thinking about our win. I still couldn't believe it, but it happened and now I was free. Free from my mum, and free from the person I was before I met Chris. "We won."

His eyes widened in surprise, before they crinkled as he grinned. "You won?"

I nodded, whispering those magical words again. "We won."

Chris' now thin, pale arms snaked around my waist and he pulled me in. His head rested in the crook of my neck and his warm breath tricked down my shirt, sending goose bumps down my back. "I'm so proud of you." He pulled away and looked at me. "I love you so much, you know."

"I love you too."

He leaned in and our lips met. His rough, cracked ones against my soft, smooth ones. It was only a small one, but it was filled with so much passion and energy, that once we pulled away, my lips were cold and lonely. I lifted my hand up and ran it through his thick curls, wondering how he had better hair than me. He sighed in content at the feeling and rubbed circles with his hand on my lower back. "I wish we could stay like this forever." He said.

"I know, why can't we?"

"Because I'm sick, remember? Any minute I could go and never come back. Any minute you could lose me."

"Please, don't say those things." I mumbled, feeling depressed. To be honest, I haven't felt like that in a while. It was a foreign feeling. "I just want us to be together and make this moment last."

Chris nodded and entwined his fingers with mine. I leaned over the bed and rested my head on his chest, listening carefully to his steady heart beats and slow breathing. Chris stroked my hair with his free hand while whispering nice, peaceful things to me. My mind wondered to what Amy had said before, that she wanted to show me something quickly after we won the case, but she hasn't come to tell me yet. I figured she wanted Chris and I to spend what little time we had left with each other.

I never thought my life would change so much after meeting Chris. He had given me a reason to live, a reason to love, and a reason to be happy. He was the reason I had faced my fears, and soon he would be gone.

"Ember? Are you crying?" Chris asked after a small sob escaped my lips.

"Please don't go, you can't leave now."

"It's not my choice anymore. I could have stopped this from happening, but I couldn't change who I was until I met you." He kissed my forehead and I sat up to face him.

"What will I do if you go?" I asked, my bottom lip quivering.

"Live your life with your sister and be happy."

"But I can't... I won't be happy unless I'm with you."

"Ember-" He began but was interrupted as he started to cough, which then led to multiple choking sounds that left him. I panicked and squeezed his hands, before he settled down and buried hid head into the pillow. "You look tired, you should rest." He muttered, his voice weak.

I opened my mouth to protest, but his begging green eyes stopped the words to form and I laid my head on his chest, before slowly drifting off to sleep.