11 » opposite

... { " His smile was reassuring, but his eyes told the opposite. " }

Chris and I stopped by the park after my mum called me. The grass field would've been empty if it weren't for the small children playing around a large tree.

I kept thinking about what Chris tried to tell me. He was so good at giving me all these lessons that maybe he had been through the same thing I am going through. Maybe he's experienced something like this before.

"Can we sit down somewhere?" Chris asked me after we did a lap around the park.

I nodded and pointed over to a lonely bench a few metres ahead. We walked over to it and sat down. "Is everything alright Chris?" I asked.

"Yeah." His smile was reassuring, but his eyes told the opposite.

I wanted to ask him again what was wrong, but I decided against it for now. "It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"It is." Chris smiled as he looked up at the clear blue sky. I did the same, noticing the white fluffy clouds that were painted upon the blue. I usually wasn't like this; noticing the good things the world has to offer. Before Chris came along, everything to me was dull and I felt numb. But now... I am happy. "Why are you smiling like that?" Chris' voice interrupted my thoughts and I faced him.

"Because you make me happy."

"That was so cheesy." He chuckled.

"But it's true."

"I know." He started laughing, his laughter was extremely contagious and had me going too. Then suddenly, it all turned into a fit of coughs.

"Are you okay?" I asked, my voice cracking with worry as he bent over and coughed louder.

"S-shit." He stuttered in between coughs and began to stumble away from me.

"Chris, what are you-"

"I-I have to... go home."

"No, you need to drink something for the coughing to go away." I did a quick spin, my eyes trailing everywhere for a tap Chris could drink from. Why was he like this all of a sudden?

"T-that won't help Ember! I'm telling you, it's nothing-" Another heavy splutter of coughs left him falling to his knees. Just then, something inside of me clicked. You don't just randomly start coughing like that, especially since they are so heavy and violent. Something was definitely wrong.

Before I could even blink, Chris stood up and began to run, but he didn't get very far. Before I could even go after him, he collapsed to the ground, his body still. Before I could ask him if he was okay, a small pool of blood poured from his mouth.

( Oh god this is exciting! Sorry for the cliffhanger :/ )