Chapter Ten

New cover or keep it as is?

Chapter Ten

The rest of my week was completely uneventful. I didn't have any tests or quizzes to cram for, didn't have any plans to look forward to, and Mr. Duncan pushed back the project deadline so Hayden and I haven't worked on it too much.

I don't have any plans this weekend either. I was sitting downstairs in the living room with my dad earlier, watching football, when Bruce and Angel trotted into the room with their leashes hanging out of their mouths.

I took the hint and went upstairs to get dressed since I was still rocking my pajamas, and walked them to the park.

"Alright, bring it back!" I shout to Bruce as he jumps up to catch his tennis ball from a few yards down the open field.

The best part about living in the suburbs is that there are parks everywhere. This one is just a five minute walk from my house and is the perfect place for Angel and Bruce to run around. It consists of a small pond, this huge field the three of us are occupying, and a large playground off to the side.

The pond is surprisingly clear and has a stunning fountain right in the middle. It has a small, resident made dock for fishing off of and a little ramp for small boats like canoes and kayaks. The field is about as large as a football field and is right in front of the pond, backed up the forest that surrounds this part of Indiana. The playground is massive, with a multitude of swings on either side of it. The actual play structure itself is enormous and takes on the theme of a castle since our neighborhood is named Kings Court.

Bruce drops his ball in front of me, utterly out of breath, but starts running again for me to throw it. I grimace at the slime covered, completely beaten and worn down tennis ball and stick it into my ball launcher; only ten dollars at Walmart and has proved to be the best ten dollars I've ever spent.

It throws the ball way further than I ever could and makes it so that I don't have to get slime all over my hands. It's absolutely disgusting to feel it squish between your fingers and contaminate your skin...

"Alright boy, let Angel get this one!" I exclaim as she barks hotly at him for catching yet another throw, barely giving her the chance to jump for it. 

He whines and drops the ball in front of her, and she gives a doggy smirk, bending her head down to pick it up. She trots over to me with her head high and delicately places it in front of me before jogging back to Bruce.

"This is going to be a long one, guys. Get ready!" I say, and their tails go into overdrive.

I press the ball launcher onto the ball so that it picks it up and then throw it forward with all my might, forcing the two of them to chase one another for it at full speed.

"You're right, that was a long one."

I snap my body around in utter shock and almost knock heads with Hayden.

He backs up at the last minute and I almost fall backwards and onto my ass when I try to avoid him. The only thing that stops me is Hayden's hands darting out to grab my waist.

I stare wide eyed up at him with my mouth open in the midst of a surprised squeak and he smirks at me, his eyes twinkling against the sun. From this close up I can see that there isn't a single imperfection in his eyes; they are dark blue through and through. He has a small pink scar next to his right eyebrow, no more than a few centimeters long, and has an adorable dimple on his left cheek. The dimple challenges his bad boy-ish persona and gives a new light to his character.