Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Bruce dips his head and starts whining while I harshly scold him. I decided to take him and Angel for a walk since it's so nice outside, and as a squirrel ran across our path Bruce bolted after it. I fell forward with the force of his run, and his leash caused rug burn on my palm as it was whipped away from me, and my knees barely avoided being scraped as I fell. Angel stayed next to me and made sure I was alright as Bruce ran down the road, barking up a storm.

He didn't even get the squirrel.

"Don't you dare do that again." I scold, tapping his nose harshly in his form of punishment. "No treats for the rest of the day."

He whines loudly with his ears down and I roll my eyes.

"Cry me a river, Bruce." I mutter as we continue our walk.

We reach the park within a few more minutes, and thankfully Bruce ignores every other squirrel we see. As I scan the park for where the three of us can hang out, my eyes land on a familiar six year old.

With a girl.

"Oh this is too good." I say to myself as I watch Elliot flirt from afar. I can picture what he's saying, getting cheesy lines from either T.V. or his brother.

The girl shyly moves closer to him and I can see his nerves starting to kick in. She's a pretty girl with a long blonde braid decorating her light blue dress. Her smile is shining from all the way over here, and I can sense how much Elliot fancies her.

Bruce and Angel must notice Elliot as well, because they start pulling me towards him, but I hold them back.

"Hold on guys, don't ruin his big moment." I say, and they glance up at me with their tails wagging, barking their agreement.

Before his big moment occurs, however, some kids that look a year or two older than Elliot come up and start messing around with him. Three of them walk up, definitely bigger than Elliot, and the 'ring leader' shoves him back. He lands in the dirt and the bullies start laughing at him, kicking dirt into his face while Elliot hopelessly tries to shield himself with his arms. The bullies stop and laugh at him before walking away, high-fiving one another for ruining a boys spirit.

The girl Elliot was with rushes to him to make sure he's alright, and from here I can see the humiliation in his once bright eyes.

Angel and Bruce notice too, because they start growling and baring their teeth in that general direction, unnerved that someone broke his spirit like that.

"Let's make Elliot a hero." I smirk, 'accidentally' dropping their leashes. "Oops!"

They instantly bolt towards the playground, ready to run to Elliot's rescue, and I wait a few seconds before running after them. They won't hurt the bullies, but they will definitely scare the shit out of them.

I arrive in time to see the bullies bolting away as Bruce and Angel let out threatening roars over and over again, barring their teeth to add to the effect. The bullies run away, not daring to turn around to see if Bruce or Angel are pursuing them, but Bruce and Angel know the drill. It's time to make Elliot a hero.

The two of them instantly turn and start growling menacingly to Elliot's girl, who is still kneeling on the ground next to him. I catch Elliot's confused gaze and wink at him, nodding towards my dogs in a silent way of telling him to be the hero here.

He seems to get my message and quickly jumps up. Angel and Bruce don't stop growling to dismiss the idea of Elliot already knowing them.

"Elliot! What are you doing?" The girl exclaims as he steps in front of her, keeping her 'safely' behind him. "You're going to get hurt!"