Chapter Nineteen

**Beautifully made cover by scarlettrays **

Thanks for being so dedicated to this story :) I'm so glad you guys like it!

Chapter Nineteen

"Because your knight in shining armor is here to protect you."

I furrow my brow at him as he throws his shoes into the corner of my room.

"Uh, Bruce is already here?" I say.

Hayden gives me a flat look, "I meant me, Cupcake."

I roll my eyes against my small smile, "I know." Then I register the meaning behind his words and my face heats up. "Wait, you're, uh, staying-"

"The night? Yes I am." He grins, gripping the bottom of his shirt and pulling it off in one swift motion.

My eyes instantly zoom in on his abs and my mouth suddenly goes dry. Way to give a girl a warning before taking the breath right out of her.

It's not fair or healthy that he has such an effect on me...

I shake my head to distract myself and for once I think he actually missed my blatant staring.

"Uh, why are you staying the night?" I ask, hugging my arms to myself when I remember I'm not wearing a bra and this shirt isn't exactly thick.

He chuckles at my apparently stupid question.

"So that you won't be scared. You know, chivalry and all that?"

I raise one brow. "Chivalry?" I deadpan.

He nods and then he pauses and eyes me up and down. "Nice pajamas, by the way." He winks.

I look down at my attire and see that I'm wearing my cousin's old boxers with one of my dad's old t-shirts. It's not exactly sexy- more lazy than anything.

I shrug, "Well, all those movies that have girls sleeping in skin tight tank tops aren't true."

He chuckles, "I know that. I like your look- it's cute." He muses, sending blood to go rushing towards my cheeks.

Hayden is spending the night but I only have one bed. My face goes an even darker shade of red as I think about sleeping in the same bed as him, and he must notice my slight panic as my eyes dance from him and to my bed.

"Relax, I'm going to sleep on the floor." He says with an easygoing smile.

I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding and nod, "Thank you."

He sends me a teasing smile. "See? I respect girls."

His comment sends me into a guilty grimace. I attacked him about not respecting girls a few weeks ago when we first started working on our project together, and it may have been slightly uncalled for.

"Hayden, I said that before I actually got to know you-"

He waves it off. "I know, Reagan. Don't worry about it."

I look bashfully down at my floor and fiddle with the carpet. I can't explain why a small part of me seems slightly disappointed that he's chosen now to be chivalrous and is going to stay on the floor.

At the same time, it doesn't seem entirely fair that I make him sleep on the floor or on anything less than a comfortable bed. He is taking time out of his own life to stay here with me and make sure I'm okay.