Chapter Thirty Nine

cover by baby_blake

Chapter Thirty Nine

"Bruce stand still!" I yell through gritted teeth as I attempt to unhook his leash. "Why are you so damn difficult?" I wheeze as he tries to pull away again, nearly losing his balance because of his missing leg.

He whines when I finally force him to sit so that I can take the leash off of him, and once it's unhooked he stumbles away towards Angel who's sitting on the couch. He prepares himself to launch up next to her and makes it, snuggling next to her.

He licks her ear and she lets out a doggy sigh, resting her head down as he kisses her ear over and over again.

Aw, goals.

I hear a car engine purr into the driveway and a burst of excitement rushes through me.

Hayden's here.

Just the thought of him makes my body tingle with this strange sense of excitement. My breath gets taken from the exhilaration I suddenly feel, and my stomach always does a small flip and a sort of giddy feeling fills it, but that doesn't describe the half of it.

Seconds later the doorbell rings and I have to stop myself from sprinting to the door to let him in.

My mom invited him over for dinner tonight since he's now my boyfriend, and she wants to be able to spend some time getting to know him other than all the things I tell her.

I open the door to see him standing there with a bouquet of tulips in hand- not roses thankfully. He's dressed in dark khakis and a dark blue long-sleeved polo shirt. I grin and step outside into the crisp spring air, but instead of the aroma of the flowers I'm blessed with the scent of his fresh cologne.

"Hey Cupcake," he smiles, setting the flowers down on a rocking chair so that he can hold me when he dips his head down to kiss me. "You look beautiful," he breathes as he glances me over.

I'm wearing a light red sundress with a thin cardigan over top, and I smile at him. "You don't look too bad yourself."

He chuckles and looks down at his outfit, "You think?"

I glance down at the flowers and pick them up, surveying the bouquet. "This was sweet of you, who knew you had it in you?"

He scowls and takes them from me, "I can be a gentleman when I want to be."

"I had to literally force you to get flowers for your mom."

"This is different," he retorts.

I raise a brow and chuckle, "How so? You've already met my mom and you already know she likes you."

He places the flowers down again and places his hands on my waist, pulling me closer to him as he sighs. "It's different this time. I'm nervous, you and I aren't just friends anymore. You're trusting me with your heart, and so is your mom. So I have to show to her that I'm gonna keep it safe."

I smile softly, "She already loves you, Hayden."

He chuckles lightly, "You can reassure me all you want Cupcake, but I'm going to continue to be nervous. Just wait until I have dinner with you and your dad, I'll be sweating bullets."

I smirk and raise a brow, "The Hayden Summers, nervous? That's just unheard of."

He winks at me, "What can I say? You're my weakness." He leans back down to pick up the flowers and pauses. "And spiders."