An Ordinary Day

"Hey, Elena. Sorry, if I'm a little late." Mateo said as soon as he found Elena.

"It's alright. We still have time. Now, come on. I really need to get out of the palace." Elena smiled.

"Right, then." Mateo said. As the two left they didn't know that Lucina was following the two teens.

"It's a beautiful day today." Elena said.

"It is." Mateo soon heard rustling in the bushes, "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"Over there. Behind those bushes." Mateo walked towards the bushes and found nothing, "Huh? Maybe my imagination is getting the best of me."

As they walked away from the bushes Lucina sighed because she was holding her breathe for most of the time, "That was close. Can't let him see me. But, if it is a date." Lucina squealed and continued following them.

"Well, we're here. The orphanage." Elena said.

"Whoa. This place looks worn out." Mateo said in a sad voice. He remembered that his little sister used to live in an orphanage before coming to him and his mom. He remembered how she described orphanages and how the people treated them with cruelty.

"Are you ok, Mateo?" Elena asked with sympathy.

"What? Oh, I'm fine. I was just...remembering something. Getting lost in thought." Mateo said in the same sad voice.

"Ok." Elena said but, was still not convinced that her friend was ok. But, she didn't say another word.

"Hello? Is anyone home?" Mateo said.

They soon heard giggling coming from the hallways.

"Looks like someone's home." Elena said with a smile.

A crowd of children ran towards Elena and Mateo.

"Hi, Princess Elena." They all said in cheerful voices.

"Hey, guys. How are you?"

"We're...amazing." They lied and the two teens knew it.

"Are you sure?" Elena asked.

"Well, the truth is no." A little girl said.

"Why?" Mateo bent down to be leveled with the little girl.

"We heard the owner of the orphanage and he said that he might have to close the orphanage because not many people want to adopt us." She said.

"Oh. But, what's going to happen to you. All of you." Mateo asked with sympathy.

"We might have to...live on the streets." The little girl answered with tears rolling down.

"Oh. Elena, did you know?" Mateo asked.

"No. I didn't. Maybe we can try to help them. You know like...raise money for them." Elena said.

They soon heard a crash coming from another hall, "Tell me I'm not the only one who heard that." Mateo said.

"You're not. Lets check it out." Elena and the others ran to the hallway.

"Lucina? What are you doing here?" Mateo asked.

"I am following you because I love orphans. And I was spying on you two. And maybe eavesdropping." Lucina answered.

"Why?"

"No reason. I just want to know how long it would take and...yeah. That's all."

Mateo shook his head and offered his hand to Lucina, which she took.

"So, how are we going to help the orphans?" Lucina asked Elena.

"Well, maybe if we have a ball to raise money for the orphans..." Elena trailed off and was thinking the rest of the plan.

The rest of the day they tried coming up with ideas to help the orphans.