Into the Woods, Again

"Lucina, come on," Mateo said and sighed, "Looks like I'll have to get us both out of here."

Mateo carried his sister out of the palace and went to the only place they could go...the woods. As soon as they entered the woods he set his sister down and shook her.

"Lucina, can you hear me. Earth to Lucina." Mateo nervously said snapping his fingers in her face.

Lucina shook her head and looked around and asked, "What happened? How are we in the woods again? The dark, dark woods."

"Forget about that question. What's up with you? You keep zoning out. And what's weirder is that your eyes keep..."

"Drifting apart?"

"Exactly. Tell me what's going on..."

"It's none of your business!" Lucina snapped.

"Ok. Maybe I'll ask later." Mateo said nervously.

"How about you ask me never!" Lucina shouted.

"Ok." Mateo squeaked.

Lucina's​ eyes soon softened and she said with a calm voice, "I'm sorry."

"Ok, if you want to tell me what was all that..."

"Back at the orphanage I was bullied because I was different! I even have scars to prove it!" Lucina said, angrily but Mateo could hear the hurt in her voice.

"I'm sorry."

"Are you?"

"Yes."

"Then, maybe I can tell you. You see when I turned 10 I had something called Lazy Eye. And at the same time I had...braces. I was called Lucina the Chupacabra. It took me three years to look...not like a chupacabra."

"Wow."

"Is that the only word you're using to describe my past?"

"There are no words."

Lucina rolled her eyes and said, "Well, we're out of the castle and away from...the crazy versions of the people we know."

Mateo chuckled and said, "True. We still need to find a way out of this dream."

"Ok. Where's that Cheshire Cat?" Lucina said looking see if Leonel was near by.

"I'm afraid he's not going to be helping us."

"Seriously? Oh... I hope Renato finds something."

"Just Renato? What about the others?"

Lucina blushed at that statement and said a little too quickly, "Yeah, them too."

"How's your boyfriend?"

"We're not 'a thing'. We're just friends."

"Who apparently seems to be acting very friend like with him." Mateo said with sarcasm coloring his tone.

"This is none of your business."

"Uh...it sorta is."

"Uh...it sorta not."

"Ok. Let's just hope your prince charming comes saving you like in the books."

"I'm going to throw a book at you when we wake up if you don't stop talking!"

"More like if we wake up. Want to explore the woods?"

"Maybe."

"Come on. It'll be...sorta fun?"

"It's dark. I'm not going in there. What if..."

"No ifs, ands, or buts."

"Fine!" Lucina said with a little attitude.

"Lucina, enough with the attitude."

"Ha. Make me. I dare you."

"When we wake up. Hopefully."

The two siblings walked in silence for the rest of the time both thinking about how to escape this dream before midnight arrived...