Chapter I

"Underneath the echoes, buried in the shadows, there you were." – Kyle Wesley ft. Dani Jayde, When the Darkness Comes (cover)

_________________________________________________________

I darted down the use-to-be visible dirt path, but now that winter has arrived it's been covered by the crisp, glistening snow. But I've ran through there enough times know where it is, and where it's led me.

"Stop, thief!" A shopkeeper shouted as he chased after me.

The corners of my lips curled upwards forming into a wicked grin thinking how far this shopkeeper has come to try and stop me. Farther than anyone else ever could. I had to give him credit. Although just like everyone they eventually gave up once the forest devours me and they see the multiple scattered footprints that led several different ways.

I wasn't stupid, I used the snow to my advantage.

I quickly dove behind a boulder, bringing the backpack that had been loosely hanging by my shoulder to my chest. I rested my head against the cold stone behind me, closing my eyes to focus on the sound of crunching snow that was drawing near. It abruptly stopped, then there was a frustrated grunt, and not long after the footsteps faded away.

"Nice try, but not today." I panted the words out quietly.

Once I caught my breath I adjusted the floppy grey beanie on my head and was back on my feet.

I slipped through the iron gates that were rusted and slowly falling apart. They weren't going to hold up very much longer. They circled the perimeter of the tall, dome shaped building ahead, with a metal engraved sign beside the double doors that said Planetarium. It was abandoned with its boarded up windows and doors. The only door that wasn't boarded up was an emergency exit tucked away around back. I wasn't even sure for how long this place had been like this, but it didn't matter to me for it was my home.

Playing a quick game of limbo with one of the wooden boards that blocked the doorway, once inside I walked into the foyer. I flicked on the lights which somehow seemed to still work in its condition and there, in the center of the rounded room a large globe greeted me as it sits upon its pedestal. My hand gently touched the dusty sphere leaving behind my handprint. Through the cracks of boards over the windows, the moons rays whisper to me and I immediately rolled my eyes.

"Oh, here we go." I sighed and dragged my feet as I climbed up the spiral stair case that lead me to a theatre room with rows of cushioned seats and a huge stage in the center.

On the stage there's a control panel and I flicked a switch that opened the ceiling and revealed the vibrant white moon. I took a seat in the front row, taking my beanie off my head to release my thick head of hair. "I know what you're going to say, Manny." My voiced echoed the empty room as I crossed my arms.

There was silence.

I rubbed my forehead and shook my head. "Well what do you want me to do? I can't help it."

Silence again, and I placed the backpack on my lap to dig out what that shopkeeper had been chasing me for. "I only took a couple things, it's no big deal." I shrugged and hauled out a couple bag of chips, a six-pack of Coca-Cola cans, and a small box of matches. "How else do you want me to- Oh no, don't- Manny-Would you just-" I let out an irritated groan and shoved everything in the bag. "Well, this conversation is over, good morning, Manny." In the distance the sun was slowly rising and with a flick of the same switch on the panel the ceiling closed.

I made my way back down stairs, past the globe and into another room that was much smaller. It used to be an office but now with its smell of burnt wax and dust, it was now my bedroom. Blankets piled up in the corner next to some bookshelves, half melted candles on the desk and windowsill. Papers taped to the walls that showed drawings of characters Manny had told me silly stories about, and constellations that Manny and I would point out as I looked through the telescope. I didn't know if Manny was real or if I gone completely insane, but knowing, real or not, there was someone else with me, it made me feel less alone in the world.

I took the box of matches out from the bag and lit all the candles, then curled up in the corner of the room with my blankets and stared at the flickering flames in the distance. With the room being so dark, and the little fires they reminded me of stars in the night sky. As those thoughts filled my head my eyelids closed and soon enough I was sleeping dreamlessly.

<