Chapter XV

Hold me now. I need to feel you. Show me how to make it new again. There's no one I can run to. And nothing I could ever do. I'm nowhere if I'm here without you — Ashes Remain, Without You

____________________________________________________________

I quietly shut the door behind me as I leave the house. Jaime and Sophie had finally fallen asleep and I knew I had to hurry and get back to the Guardians.

I'm walking down the driveway and on to the street, shoving my hands in my pockets and burying my face beneath my scarf when a chilly breeze rolls through. I stay under the streetlamps as I walk as a brisk pace, constantly looking over my shoulder as an uneasy sensation develops. Stopping abruptly and almost panicking when I notice a slender figure ahead. Realizing that I'm holding my breath, I exhale when I notice that the silhouette belongs to Jack.

I let out a nervous chuckle. "Oh my goodness..." I clear my throat and starting waving my arm. "Jack, over here!" I start to jog to him.

Jack looks around as if looking for something and runs off.

"Hey, wait!" I began to chase after him.

What felt like forever, was actually just a few minutes of me chasing Jack. I ended up losing him once he ran into a shady looking forest. Hearing my panting, the crunching leaves and twigs beneath my feet as I venture further and further through the forest calling out for Jack. It is until I come to a clearing, where a rickety old bed stands in the centre, covering a wide enough hole a human could fall into. I cautiously peek over the bed to look down into the hole, however nothing but darkness could be seen.

It wasn't until I felt cold hands press against my back and with a sudden force I find myself falling down the hole. I scream as loud as my lungs and throat could handle until the ground broke my fall.

A flash of light and I find myself in a sparkling white and gold room, without a ceiling, it was open to the night sky with twinkling stars, but no Manny visible in the sky. When I went to extend my hand up to the sky, my hand begun to glow with light, until I was interrupted by a mob of Shadows.

"It's over" I familiar and menacing voice booms.

"Give up Pitch Black! You will not win!" I found myself saying.

He laughed, evilly, finally revealing himself. "Oh but you see...I already have!"

I got into a fighting stance, prepared for any attack he fired at me. Deep down in my core I felt like I was going to lose, but refused to let Pitch see it on my face.

Pitch's nightmares flew through the skies and slowly, like a large black blanket began to take over the world. I turned to the large globe in the center of the room, as bright lights began to fade away.

"No!" I fired a ball of light toward Pitch that startled him to order his Nightmares to attack.

As I moved around the room, getting rid of every Nightmare that comes near with another ball of light after another, I felt a ping in my chest as I realized there was no way to beat him...not like this. And with Manny who has disappeared and unable to contact him, I was doomed. I couldn't do this alone.

"Ha-ha...yes...be engulfed by the darkness, let your fears run wild." Pitch spoke. "The dark ages will be mine!"

"No!" Another blast of light goes his way and he immediately disappeared into his shadows.