Chapter VIII

"You turned a page inside my heart. You brought the light when my world was so dark. I feel something I can't explain"- Fireflight, Myself

_________________________________________________

I used to cry every night until he spoke to me. He told me not to cry, there was no reason to cry as long as he was there with me. His moonlight had scared away the darkness, made it all disappear as did making the tears that fell from my eyes.

It was a warm summer's night and I was at a park, rocking back and forth on the eerie swing. Even on this warm evening being alone, homeless and hungry... it made me feel cold. I don't remember how I got here, or where I was before, but right as I was about to give up, the moon appeared. It always did, but that night was... different. I didn't know if he was a part of my imagination or if it was my conscience. Either way I listened, he led me passed the town, down the dirt path, through the forest to the planetarium. Which I could proudly say was my home.

Ever since then, I had thought I knew my place in this world, I knew where I belonged, and I knew I wasn't anything special.

My eyes shot open as I felt a painful pinch in my hand. It was Baby Tooth poking its piercing nose into my hand. She shivered, and squeaked at me as she pointed over towards where Tooth was half buried in the snow. Now that I noticed, I too was half buried in the snow. I quickly shook it off and scooped up Baby Tooth who I put into my coat pocket. My legs wobbled as fought my way through the overwhelming blizzard.

"Tooth!" I called out to her but she didn't move. Once I was at her side I took off my jacket and dug her out. Her eyes remained shut, skin was as cold as ice, feathers were covered in frost and her wings were frozen at the tip. I rested my ear against her chest and heard a faint heartbeat. Then she mumbled something I couldn't quite hear.

"Hang on, I'm gonna get you out of here. I promise." I tucked her in my jacket and threw her on my back.

It was an awkward piggyback ride as I could feel her body weight shift whenever I took a step into the thick snow. Eventually we made it into a forest where the trees helped block out the raging storm. I fell to the ground feeling Tooth slide off my back. I huffed and puffed, trying to regain any strength I had left in me. I didn't notice it before but whole body was violently trembling, my nose was running, I could barely feel my limbs and I was afraid if I blinked they would freeze shut. Tooth's body laid there helplessly and it reminded me of myself, until Manny came and told me not to give up. Inhaling a cold breath, I pushed myself up, grabbing Tooth in the process and throwing her on my back again. I took a gander at my surroundings seeing nothing but snow and dying trees. Although this forest I sensed was awfully familiar, and not a second later it hit me, besides I've been down this path more than enough times to know.

I heard menacing cries from over my shoulder and when I snuck a peek a group of those black creatures were right on my tracks. Picking up the pace as I dragged my boots through the snow that was just at my shins I kept looking back watching as they continued to chase. Up ahead through the haze and snow I could see the Planetarium. "Just a little bit more, Tooth, everything is going to be fine." I talked to her as I arrived at the gates, noticing that they had fallen apart, but at this moment I was glad it was an obstacle out of the way. At last I burst through the doors, accidently dropping Tooth, but at least I knew she was safe here. I slammed the doors shut, locking them and barricading them with everything in my reach. Rushing to Tooth's side there were footsteps coming from down the hall, I wrapped my arms around Tooth to protect her, preparing for whatever monster decided to appear out from the shadow filled hallway.

My body relaxed when I saw North, Sandy, Bunny and Jack stand before me, weapons ready, but quickly put away once they saw me and Tooth.

"Please, help..." I pleaded, breathlessly.

Bunny hoped over and picked Tooth up.

"This way, bring her in here," I waved them into my room where I collected all the blankets I had and neatly placed them in the middle of the room, "Wrap her up in those." I instructed them. I ran around the room grabbing my candles, crumpled pieces of paper and spare wooden boards and making a pile them up near Tooth. I took the matches I left on the table and lit one and the flame immediately took to the paper. The flames grew, wrapping itself around the wooden planks and melting the candle wax, transforming itself to a proper blaze.

I didn't notice it but the whole time I was doing this, they all stood there watching me in silence. It wasn't until Baby Tooth emerged from the coat pocket, squeaking to her heart's content. I took it as a thank you, then she zoomed back over to Tooth who just laid there, her stomach rising and falling as she breathed softly. All we could do was wait and it made me realize Tooth was in this state because of me. I was useless and just got in the way. Proving that I wasn't a guardian.