Chapter XVII

And it feels like the end. There's no place to go. You know I won't give in. No, I won't give in — Avril Lavigne, Keep Holding On

_____________________________________________

After an interesting tunnel ride, compliments of Bunny, we returned to the North Pole once again. The Guardians met up in North's personal workshop, where I wondered off to a familiar window seat, where my little drawing of a constellation against the frost was still there. I got a clear view of the night sky, and a sickly Manny. Who was now only a sliver...and slowly disappearing?

I pressed my forehead and hand against the cold glass, as I tried to talk to him. "Everything will be okay; the guardians will figure something out. I'm sorry I let you down. I wish there was something I could do...but I can't, I'm just me. Why did you choose me? What was Pitch even talking about?" I light banged my head against the glass in irritation. Even though there was no reply back I kept talking. "I can't lose you...please...I don't want to be alone."

My eyes shut as I concentrated on Manny. From the moment, I first heard him speak till now. How he had always been there for me, and has never let me down.

So why doubt him now? I thought.

I had been nothing but selfish and a coward, the moment I met the Guardians and the moment I was destined by the Man in the Moon to be a Guardian.

As my eyes were shut tight, there was a bright light that was able to shine through my eyelids and it made me squint when I opened my eyes. There on the window was my drawing of a constellation that was glowing and slowly peeled off the window. It floated in front of my face as I processed what was happening and once it did I flew back, falling off the window seat, and rubbing my eyes frantically seeing if what I saw was real or not. But it quickly disappeared into sparkling dust.

"That's your way of telling me to get off my lazy butt and do something instead of sitting around whining and complaining, isn't it?" I sighed and hoisted myself up, knowing what it was I had to do, "But...you're right. I owe you big guy."

I walked towards where the Guardians were and, stopped in front of a large heavy set door. I stopped myself before knocking.

Running my fingers through my hair I grumbled as I paced back and forth. "This is so stupid. What am I supposed to say to them? I should thought this through." I stopped, and when I went to turn myself back around to pound on the door, I found the door was wide open with all of the Guardians looking at me confused. Looking at them with wide eyes and an embarrassed expression, I spoke, "Um..."

"Everything okay?" Jack asked.

"O-of course, never better!" I busted out cheerfully, with my arms flailing, trying to be rid of my nervousness, then paused, "Except for the fact that Manny is getting worse and Pitch is planning something big." I took a deep breath, "But...I've made a decision."

"Well what is it?" North stepped forward, intrigued.

Breathing in through my nose and out my mouth, I clenched my hands into fists. "I want to help. I want to put a stop to Pitch and save Manny."

Slowly, each one of the Guardians grew a smile.

"I-I'm not saying I'm going to become a Guardian, since I don't know what Guardian I am...but I can't go home because my home is destroyed and taking one step outside will lure Pitch, I seem to be stuck with all of you, so I might as well do what I can to help." I crossed my arms, feeling my cheeks grow warmer. "A-and I'm not doing it for any of you. I'm doing this for Manny."