Chapter XII

Somebody shine a light. I'm frozen by the fear in me. Somebody make me feel alive and shatter me! – Lindsey Stirling ft. Izzy Hale, Shatter Me

_________________________________________________________

"Jack!" I screamed as I was falling from the sky, watching the town below us get closer and closer.

"Don't worry, I got you." Jack laughed excitedly.

I felt his arm slide around my waist, his hand gently on my hip and out of fear my arms wrapped around his neck and my face buried into his shoulder. My eyes squeezed shut as I clung onto him tightly, feeling more secure.

Jack's breath tickled my ear when he spoke, making the little hairs on the back of my neck rise. "Hey, it's okay, look."

I could suddenly feel the wind die down, very carefully I released some of my grip and looked to see that we were smoothly gliding over the town, slowly hovering down to towards the street. My feet finally touched the pavement and I took a deep breath. "That's better."

Jack suddenly cleared his throat and it made me notice we were still holding on to one another. I quickly released him but unlike me, Jack slowly parted his touch away with a smile that I haven't seen on him before. It was kind, and heart-warming.

I shook my head to snap out of my daydream. "So, what now?" I turned myself so I was facing down the street to hide my embarrassment.

Jack stood beside me and pointed, with his staff, in the same direction I was facing. "We go this way."

"Great." Shoving my hands in my pockets, once I took my first step I went sliding down the street on a trail of ice that seemed to appear as I kept sliding down it. My arms flailed as I screamed. "Jack!"

There it was again, that laugh of his.

"Stop this!" I yelled, while looking over my shoulder at him.

"Come on, were just having a little fun."

"This isn't-whoa!" My feet were sliding all over the place, but Jack, who was flying behind me kept me on my feet by pushing my back up. "This isn't fun at all!" I extended my arms in hope to help keep my balance.

When I turned my head, there was an icy ramp, there was no time to think or say anything because I hit that ramp and flew, landing in a snowbank. I groaned with irritation as I tried to dig myself out of the snow.

Jack stood there laughing.

I rolled my eyes. "Glad you think it's so funny."

He came over and lent me his hand. "Here."

I sighed and lazily took his hand. "I don't see why we couldn't have walked."

"Wait here a minute, I'll be right back." He said, completely ignoring my last statement.

I started wiping off the snow. "I think that's got to be the best idea I've heard ever since meeting you guys." When I looked back up he was already gone.

The neighbourhood was quiet, nothing but the whistling winds and the buzzing of the light from the lamppost above me. Unpleasantness crawled along my skin as I stood alone in the eerie street.

"Okay never mind, bad idea," I paced around the dead end street, waiting for Jack to appear again. "Any time now, Jack." I mumbled.

There were sounds of footsteps dragging behind me, I cautiously turned, staring to the darkness of a house's shadow. No words were able to come out, nor could my feet start moving the other way.