Chapter VII

"I'm awake when up in the skies. There's no break up so high, alright. Let's make it our own, let's savor it" – Jonsi, Where No One Goes

__________________________________________________________

The guardians went to talk with disappointed looks on their faces. Leaving me alone, I didn't go far since I could easily end up lost in, 'Santa's Workshop' so I remained in the same area, sitting on the windowsill staring out into nothing but the night and snow. I used my breath to fog up one of the window panels to draw a constellation.

"What are you drawing?" A friendly voice interrupted my thoughts.

When I turned to look it was Jack, who stood a few feet away unsure if it was safe to come near me. "It's the Andromeda constellation, also known as The Chained Maiden." I calmly spoke, turning back to my dot drawing and using the tip of my fingernail to make thin lines to connect the dots. From the corner of my eye I could see Jack settling himself across from me, intrigued by what I was doing. "They say she sacrificed herself to a sea monster to calm the gods. Or so that's what it said in the book I read." It was odd, talking to someone other than Manny about this stuff.

"Is it true?" Jack asked.

"That's the same thing Manny said," I smiled while thinking about it. "But I can honestly tell you I don't know. They say you shouldn't always believe in what you read." Once I finished my drawing, I brought my knees close to me as I rest my chin upon them, sighing deeply, my smile soon disappearing.

"How long have you been able to talk to the Man in the moon?"

"For as long as I can remember I guess." I paused and thought really hard. "At first I didn't know it, I just heard a gentle voice speaking to me telling me everything is going to be all right. Thought it was just me making up an imaginary friend, and chose the moon as the host."

Jacked leaned in, eyes looking for something as he listened.

"Never mind it's silly." I laughed quietly at myself.

"Heh, hey, I woke up one night in a frozen pond, staring up at the moon as he spoke to me. For the longest time I thought it was only me who could hear and speak to him, until I was chosen as a guardian and it wasn't just me."

I could tell he was trying to make me feel better but there it was again. Until I was chosen as a guardian, and it wasn't just me. His words echoed through my head.

"There you two are," North and the others returned, "Come, we take you home now."

Those words should have excited me, but I somehow couldn't bring myself to smile. I hopped off the windowsill and followed the Guardians. I stopped for a moment to look up at the sky. "Sorry big guy."

North lead us to the very bottom of his workshop, it was an ice cave with a large wooden door. There were yetis and elves scrambling about.

"North, do we have too?" Bunny sounded nervous.

"Ha, but of course!" He slapped Bunny on the back as a bell went off, opening the wooden gates.

Eight large, intimidating reindeer marched their way out, huffing and puffing while they pulled out a... sleigh? It wasn't the sleigh every child thought Santa had, this one was a mix of a snowmobile and a jet. There was even a miniature version of the globe North had in his workshop.

"Okay, that's pretty cool." I stepped closer and didn't hesitate when North gestured me to hop in.

"Everyone likes the sleigh." North said, and at the same time Bunny mumble the exact words in a mocking tone.