Chapter IV

"Test my reality. Check if there's a weak spot. Clinging to insanity, in hopes the world will ease up." Icon For Hire, Make A Move

______________________________________________________

My dull pencil quickly made light markings over the printer paper that I found a stack of when I first moved in. The pencil didn't stop as I looked from my paper to the little bird who was now moving around slowly with its little feet. Back to my drawing, I started making dark lines where the shadows were, but my focus was interrupted when I could hear soft humming, beside my ear. A quick gasp escaped me when the little bird was flying in place beside me, its wing speed going exceedingly fast. It looked at me with its big purple eyes, and I could see the curiosity and spark of interest.

I revealed the image of the little bird, curled up and asleep. "What do you think?" I asked the little bird, but not expecting much of an answer.

It zoomed close to the image and looked back at me, squeaking on about something that I couldn't understand but it gave a nod and a smile along with it. I took it as 'it's really good' sort of answer.

Just then an unexpected brash thump came from the foyer. I jumped to my feet and blew out the candles. Pressing my back against the wall, I peered through the door that was slightly open and spotted a group of shadows approaching further into the foyer.

"This is bad," I whispered over to the little bird who came up right beside me and sat on my shoulder. "We gotta hide," It wasn't a big office the only three places that we were able to hide was behind the curtain, behind the door or underneath the desk. I decided on the desk and right as I was tip-toeing my way over I noticed the little bird didn't follow. When I looked back it zoomed out of the room. "What are you doing?" I whispered a little too loud, while I looked through the door again seeing it zoom down the hall and into the foyer. "Get back here."

My thought was that the little bird was going to check it out. I couldn't take the risk of going after the bird, especially if it were the cops. And I don't think the cop would arrest a bird. I took the opportunity to throw on my winter gear and crouch under the desk waiting for the moment to escape.

A few minutes passed and I was ready to move, but just as I was about too, the door creaked open and I coward back into my hiding spot, covering my hand over my mouth to control my breathing. I wished I could have done the same for my heart for it was beating uncontrollably. Watching, as two large black boots entered the room, followed by giant furry paws, bare feet, sparkling sand floating and soft humming sound, like the little bird only louder.

Definitely not cops.

They all moved into the small area, I could hear whispering and mumbling but couldn't make out to what they were saying. It was only a matter of time before I was seen, so I had to move now. Without any second thoughts I dashed out of there slamming the door behind me. If only I had something to jam the door with but there was no time. I sprinted down the hall, hearing shouting behind me but I didn't dare look back.

The front doors were in my reach, but a piercing crackled sound behind me was followed by a sudden blast of cold air that was made visible from sparkly blue crystals. It zipped passed me and attacked the doors. It was so dark I couldn't tell if that patch of ice was meant to hit me.

I grabbed the doorknobs but the doors were frozen shut, I slammed my fists against the thick wooden doors. "No!" I shouted.

The only other way out is up the stairs through the emergency exit and down the iron stair case that are as badly rusted and broken down as the gate out front. Just by the look of them was an accident waiting to happen so I thought to never use them, until now. My pursuers caught up, and I pressed my back against the door, not being able to say a word out of fear as I stared at the five odd shaped silhouettes. Then a familiar squeaking broke the silence. Little bird zoomed right up in front of my face squeaking on and on, like it was saying everything was going to be all right. My wide eyes scanned back and forth, from little bird to the figures who were slowly approaching me.

"She can see us?" A chipper voice came out of the hovering figure with multiple wings wavering all at once.

"Well if she can see your fairy, then of course she can see us." An Australian accent escaped the big eared character.

"Doesn't she look a bit old to be believing, not that it's a problem, but don't children around this age stop believing in us?" Said the hovering winged thing.

"Quiet you two." A Russian accent this time was spoken from the big burly fellow in the middle.

My breathing started to quicken and it became heavy, and soon enough it was the only thing I could hear. I had to focus on getting out of here, I needed an opening and it was a little silhouette of a man. Even through the darkness I caught glimpses of golden sparkles twinkling on him. With his size it would be no problem to jump over him and make haste to the stairs. So that's exactly what I did. I pushed myself away from the door and took on a running start towards the little man. They all seemed too had backed up with my sudden surprise, and as soon as I leaped, the little man ducked. Now I was halfway up the stairs, bursting through the doors of the theatre. I sprinted past the rows of seats, my eyes making contact with that red lettered sign that said exit, but I froze in my tracks when I heard a familiar voice.

The theatre's ceiling was opened, I didn't know how because I was the one who closed it and I hadn't stepped foot in here since the night before. Slowly those thoughts disappeared as the moon's light shined down on me and I listened.

"Manny..." I whispered, and before I knew it my balance was lost and I collapsed on the floor. My head felt heavy and there was something gold and sparkly circling around it but my eyelids, no matter how hard I tried to fight the urge to sleep it was no use. I was submerged into a beautiful dream.