Chapter Seven

Keira West

"I needed a break." Summer says. "My boyfriend of three years broke up with me."

Ouch, now I feel bad for asking. "I'm sorry, you don't have to continue-"

"I want to." She says. "I haven't told anyone about it yet."

I nod, allowing her to go on with her story.

"We dated for years, Keira. I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with him. My family did too. Have you ever had a boyfriend?"

I shake my head. She purses her lips and nods.

"My family loved him. He was smart, handsome and rich. That's all they cared about. Maybe that's all I cared about. Maybe I was too blind to see anything else.

We spent three years together. Sophomore, Junior and Senior year. I thought we would've lasted forever and my family did too.

He broke up with me because he liked a girl from his one night stand. He'd been cheating on me all along with some other girl.

I was hurt. I was angry and I felt betrayed. And after all of this, my family was disappointed in me. And they had every right to be.

I should've chosen a better boyfriend. I should've been more careful of who I dated. I should've been more involved in our relationship.

Everything is my fault. Everything! They can't put the blame on someone else for once.

And you know what, Keira? Maybe they're right. Maybe it was all my fault.

But either way, I needed a break. I couldn't stand it anymore. I decided to come here and be stranded in Maine with 12 other kids I barely knew. I regretted it as soon as I walked through the door.  And now we're all dying.

So next time you ask someone why they did something, think of me. Think of why I did it. Because everyone has their secrets.

And you might not think this, but I know you're hiding secrets of your own, Keira."

She finishes. "I'm sorry, I don't know where that rant came from." She hurries off and talks to Hailey and Sarah.

Although I feel a little guilty for asking, I don't regret it.  I know why she came here.

But- what if she murdered Lizzy and Emily  because she was angry? And she had an accomplice that she hired?

I go back to thinking about Lizzy.  She was dating the Linebacker of the football team.

Emily? She was dating some nerdy kid named Isaiah.  But she was still taken.  Oh my god, what if Summer kills the people who are in relationships because of jealousy?

Evan is in a relationship. Hailey is in a relationship. And I think Colton recently broke off his relationship with some girl.

2 people. 2 possible targets.

And another thought strikes me.

I could be wrong. Maybe that's what Summer wants me to think. And then she'll go after me when I least expect it.

Could Summer be that sneaky though?

And she has an alibi, so she would almost definitely need an accomplice.

My head hurt from thinking about it.  I look down at Carter, who was still working on my arm.  It was definitely looking a lot better.

"You'll survive." Carter says, sounding relieved.

"I was hoping I would." I reply sarcastically.

He sticks his tongue out at me playfully. 

Dylan walks over to me and inspects my arm.  "I'm going to kill whoever did that to you if they don't murder me first." He says.

I laugh, even at the expense of the situation. 

"Thanks, Dyl." I say.

He sits down on a chair next to me and looks at me. 

"Your eyes are so beautiful." He says staring at me.  I smile at him, staring at his jawline, which was so sharp I could cut my finger on it.

He leans in and crashes his lips against mine.

DANG THINGS ARE GETTING REAL

this is the farthest I've ever gotten in a book, so go me!

QotC: how do you feel about dylan and Keira's kiss?

OMG OMG IM 713 IN MYSTERY/THRILLER ITS A START AH OMG!!!