Chapter Twenty Three

Keira West

"But who could the killer have been?" I ask.

"I'm not sure." Ashton replies. "We need to talk to Sarah, though." He says.

"Can't we wait until tomorrow?" Alex whines.

"Tomorrow might be too late. It's now or never." I say, giving Alex an apologizing look.

Alex sighs, but nods. I offer him a gracious smile and he returns my gesture with a soft smile of his own.

"I'll stay here with Alex." Carter volunteers. Summer nods in agreement.

"Okay." I agree and walk with Ashton to the car. I give myself a moment for all of the newly obtained information to sink in.

"I can't believe that Sarah is innocent." I say to myself. Ashton looks over at me and laughs.

"Me neither." He agrees. "We really need to get some information out of her."

I nod in agreement and he starts the car and we're off to drive to the police station.

We finally reach the police station and we enter it together and immediately walk to the receptionist.

"Is Sarah Rowan here?" Ashton asks the lady. She whips her head around and nods.

"In custody. Visitors I assume?" She asks sweetly. We nod.

"Down the hall, first room to the left."  She orders.  We nod and follow her directions.

Sarah is sitting alone in a room, her face expressionless.  She looks up when she hears the twisting of the doorknob. 

"What are you guys doing here?" She asks.

"We needed to know some answers.  Why are you innocent?"  Ashton demands.  Her face turns a pale pink and she sighs.

"I'm innocent because I wasn't the killer." Sarah says, and Ashton and I exchange exasperated looks to each other.

"Sarah, why are you really innocent? The judge said that they proved you were innocent; you didn't say that you were innocent." Ashton says.

Sarah sighs. "I am innocent. I just wish they didn't find that out." She says.

"Sarah, if you're innocent, who's the killer?" I ask. Maybe she dressed as the killer on purpose and didn't kill me.

"Cameron was one of the killers." She says, purposely saying it slow to stall for time.

"And who was the other killer?" Ashton asks.

"Sakfjjesbdhdb." She mumbles, saying a gibberish word.

"Listen, Sarah, you deserve to be innocent. You don't deserve to be wrongly convicted of a crime. Since we know it wasn't you, who was it?" I ask.

"It was Sadie." She says. Her twin?

"But Sadie was missing. I thought she was dead." I say aloud.

Sarah gives me a small smile. "When you didn't give me a knife, I kind of walked off. I saw Sadie there. And I kind of realized it was her." She says.

"But why?" Ashton asks.

"I'm not really sure why Sadie would want to kill anyone. But she's my sister and I had to cover for her." Sarah says. "She ran off somewhere. They still haven't found her."

I feel a twinge of pity for Sarah. Her sister murdered her friends and now she's missing again.

"Sarah, do you think you'd be allowed out of here?" I ask.

"Probably. They just finished my questioning." She says calmly.

"Perfect, then let's go back to the hospital." Ashton says, grabbing Sarah's hand and pulling her out. I follow them out.

Wow, I'm such a third wheel.

We check out of the police station with our newly discovered answers. We drive back to the hospital and share our answers with everyone else.

"We need to find Sadie before she kills anyone else." Alex declares. I nod in agreement.

"But how?" Summer asks.

"I think I have an idea." Carter says.

#105 IN MYSTERY/THRILLER

AND I ALMOST HAVE 1k reads!!

My goal is to get #10 or less for this book.

This book is almost over, but I will be writing a new story!!