Chapter Thirteen

Keira West

Ashton walks over to us. We rush to hide our napkins, the spot where we've been writing our suspects down, and then realize that it's only him.

"Don't scare us like that." Alex scolds, something that I was going to do if he hadn't.

"Sorry," Ashton says, shrugging. He sits down next to me and reads the napkin from over my shoulder.

"You guys have some pretty good notes. My bets on Summer or Carter." Ashton says to us.

"Why?" I inquire, turning around so that I can face him. He runs a hand through his chocolate brown hair.

"They seem pretty suspicious. But don't ask me, you're much smarter than I am." He says.

I scoff. "Trust me, you haven't seen my grades." I warn him. He laughs at me.

"What, is your lowest grade a 99?" He mimicks, sarcasm dripping in his tone.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes and I end up laughing at him. I wish my lowest grade was a 99. He smirks at me, satisfied that he had gotten me to laugh.

"We really need to find the killer though. Suspect lists won't work." I say, sighing.

"Then we'll set a trap." Ashton says mischievously. Alex and I turn our heads to face him.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"One of us will be the bait. The person will leave the room and they'll be prepared for an attacker." He says.

I nod. "Sounds good. Who's going to do it?"

"You." Ashton says.

"Me? Why me?" I ask in surprise.

"You already attracted the killer once with Dylan. And you survived. Also you got stabbed in the arm, but survived.  You're like a muggle girl version of Harry Potter. The girl who lived." Ashton says majestically.

"I don't know how I survived. It was just lucky." I tell him simply.

"Then you'll get lucky again." Ashton tells me.

"Ok-"

"She can't go. She could get hurt." Alex says.

"I'll do it, if it means possibly saving the lives of other innocent people." I say.

Before he can respond, I add, "And I have a knife. The killer hasn't used a gun. We would've heard it. It's equal game."

Alex sighs.  "It's dangerous.  I wouldn't care if anyone else died but it's you.  You're one of the few people I can actually tolerate here."

Ashton gasps.  "And I'm not?"

Alex shrugs. "Maybe or maybe not."

Ashton laughs. "Ready to go, Keira?"

I nod. Surprisingly, I'm not nervous. I really want to see who the murderer is. Again, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

As if reading my thoughts, Alex says, "Curiosity killed the cat."

I roll my eyes and stick my tongue at him. "Glad that I'm not a cat." I retort.

I put my knife inside my boot, camouflaging it with the rest of my body. With a slight push from Ashton, I'm outside in the hallway.

"Oh, have fun in the hallway doing nothing, Keira!" Ashton calls out blatantly. God, he needs to learn how to act.

I walk around the hallway cautiously for a few minutes. It's eerily quiet. I have the ominous feeling that I'm being watched, yet no one strikes at me.

Maybe the killer is afraid of me?

No, the killer can't be afraid of me. From the outside, I look too small to fight off anyone, let alone a mass murderer.

I look both ways, before walking down the hallway. This is the farthest I've travelled alone since the killings began.

Maybe this was all a stupid idea to begin with. Maybe it was all for nothing. Maybe-

A figure wearing all black jumps out at me with a knife.  It's a female and her face is covered with a mask. 

She lunges at me, but I dodge.  I resist the urge to scream.  I need to identify who this is. 

Her mask falls slightly and I recognize immediately who she is.

THANK YOU FOR GETTING THIS BOOK TO #507

There's not that much left to say, except thank you!