Chapter Nineteen

Keira West

"It's Cameron." I say. "He's the accomplice."

Alex looks dumbfounded.  Ashton looks smug.  I look back and forth between the two identical twins and sigh.

"I knew it was him.  It's always the one you least expect."  Ashton says. 

"And how would you know that?" Alex asks his brother, beating me to it. 

"I read a lot of mystery books." Ashton says, turning bright pink.  Aww.  I squeeze his cheeks playfully and he slaps my hand away.

"Go squeeze your boyfriend's cheeks."  He says, smirking.  It's Alex that turns pink this time. I ignore him and look at them both.

"We need to save Carter and Summer. Other than us, they're the only innocent ones left."  I order the twins.

"But what are we going to do?"  Ashton asks.

"I'll distract the killers and you guys escape through the window."  I say.

Alex shakes his head.  "No, I can't, it's too dangerous. You can die."

"I've already survived both killers three times.  I don't want to press my luck, but if it means saving everyone else I'm doing it." 

"Fine."  Alex agrees reluctantly.  "Tonight.  For now, keep a close watch on Cameron."

As if on cue, Cameron walks over to me.  He smiles flirtatiously. 

"Hey, wanna grab a drink with me?" He asks calmly.  I'm about to agree, when I realize he'll probably kill me there.

"No thanks, I'm not thirsty.  Why don't you go with Sarah?"  I ask.

His eyes narrow but he doesn't respond.  Instead, he stalks off towards Summer, Carter and Sarah.

I sigh, shaking my head and watching him. I run my fingers through my hair; it's gotten a bit knotty these days. I attempt to fix my hair with my fingers and it looks slightly better after I finish.

The minutes tick by slowly, I entertain myself by playing simple games with Alex and Ashton. We engage ourselves in "20 Questions," "Truth or Dare," "Would you Rather?" and other verbal games.

"I'd rather be in school with all our other classmates." Ashton groans tiredly after doing his dare of 100 push-ups.

"I hope next year they learn not to torture us with this whole 'no teachers' trip." Alex says.

"Hopefully we survive so we can tell them." I mumble sarcastically. If we all died, they'd think it was some kind of accident.

Alex laughs bitterly.  We really shouldn't joke in this kind of situation.  But we do anyway.

Minutes pass by and I glance at the clock.   Ten minutes left before I have to distract the killer.

"Alex, I don't know if I can do this."  I say, fear instantly overcoming my body.

"Good, you're afraid.  Adrenaline will take over for you."  He says confidently.  I nod uneasily.

"What if I don't survive?" I ask. 

"You will survive."  He says firmly.

"How do you know?" I ask.

"I just do.  I'll make sure it'll be the first thing I do."  He assures me.  I take his word for it.

"Thanks."  I say.  He gives me a side hug and I feel sparks shooting out of us.  I have to ignore these feelings, he clearly likes another girl. 

I sigh and look around.  Everyone is preoccupied with their own stuff.  Alex gives me a knowing smile.

I know what time it is.  The time itself is 6:59.   One more minute.  I anticipate the time change in 3...2....1.....

The clock turns itself to 7:00.  Ashton gives me an encouraging thumbs up.  I nod.

It's time to take down this crazy murderer once and for all. 

OOOH ITS GETTIN REAL

thanks for 100 votes!!